Sunday, December 9, 2018

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

I've written a fair bit about body image in this space, about the ways we look at our bodies, how we view our corporeal selves, how weight and life changes affect that view over time.  I've talked about cultural visual ideals, and how almost none of us can live up to the visual cultural ideal of our time.  The gap between what is presented as visually desirable (aka "normal") and what is real is very large.  I suspect that most of us struggle with body image because of this gap.

I'll be the first to say that I don't have the answer, or a little secret I'm going to let you in on that will help you feel better in your body.  I've gone through periods of profound discomfort in my skin--times where I would like to rip off the offending bits of myself--the parts that will never ever conform to what society says is beautiful and good.  Times when I can hardly stand to look at myself in the mirror.  I've also had times where I feel okay about my body--I can appreciate what it does for me, the quirks of my proportions, my freakish strength, my curly hair and never-tans skin.  I can have gratitude that I am here and moving and breathing.

This morning, I had a radical thought.  What if we could actually love the bits of ourselves that are "unlovely"?  Not just tolerate them, or learn to accept them, but really love them?  The parts we find most offensive about ourselves.  The bits of flab that are always going to be there, the thinning or gray hairs, or the chin hairs that need constant maintenance?  What if I can say to myself, this loose skin on my belly is worthy of love because it is fearfully and wonderfully made?  This thin hair on my head is worthy of love because it is fearfully and wonderfully made? 

What if I could say that I love the curve of my belly because it is feminine?  (Possibly the best line ever said by a man to a woman of a certain age: "I love your body because it is a proper woman's body.")  What if I could say that my rear aspect is fine as it is?  That those curves were made that way just for me?

What if I just stopped thinking so much about how my body doesn't measure up and just lived the measure of my body?  I've been thinking on and off about what Stasia says about inside-out congruency, and about the messaging I have in my head about my body.  Very little of that messaging is positive, and frankly, I'm tired of it.  So rather than spending so much emotional energy trying to tell that voice in my head to shut up, I think I'd rather devote my energy to directing the voice to a positive place.

So here's a start.  Repeat after me: My body is beautiful just as it is right now.  Not seven pounds lighter, not taller, not with a flat stomach or small bottom, thin biceps, or better hair.  Just as it is. 

Because this is my body, given to me by God, and it is fearfully and wonderfully made, I will learn to take care of this gift. 

3 comments:

  1. good thoughts here. And I think somehow we often have a distorted view of ourselves; I saw you in person today and what I saw was and is beautiful. It's a process... I think for me I would need to think about this also in terms of my personality quirks; what does it mean to be loved by God? to be loved despite of our continued failures on various levels; I think about my failures a lot more than that God loves me while knowing about them. I need to think on this more. Why is it that God's love is so hard to really understand? Well, thank God for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of this today. I'm slowly doing that naturally with my body. It's all secondary to my very curly frizzy hair, though. That has been the huge fight, to accept and even like it. And I decided to fight to accept it rather than life a lifetime of trying to straighten it because... in a way it came to symbolise the wild parts of me, the untameable and irrepressible (Well a hat does squish it but I mean in spirit). I was seriously abused as a child and in a way I have come to recognise that's my own spirit too. untameable and irrepressible. So I have learnt to wear my hair as a symbol of what I AM not what I was left with as a result of the abuse.

    So now I'm working on feeling that way about my body. Hey if I could do it with my hair I can do it with anything. And this time I'm choosing to fight for this because it's just so much easier! So much easier than trying to change nature. Nature is pretty awesome.
    I'm so glad I can sew though! relying on RTW to fit a short hourglass in a way I feel good about would be a nightmare.

    Thanks for your words, I read your blog, I just rarely post :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to post! I'm so sorry for the trauma of your past--it must be a burden to carry, and I grieve for your pain.

      Hair is its own beast, to be sure. Mine is very curly, and while I've never wanted straight hair, I've always struggled to make it look nice, which can make me feel out of sorts in my skin. I'm getting there with a hair care routine, though, and I do think I'm getting there with my body too. These things take time.

      I'm so glad to read your thoughts on this too.

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!