
I AM WEARING A SWEATER ON MAY 29! Yippie!!! The temps finally dropped again and it has been in the upper 40s this morning; I am in bliss. Naturally, I pulled my newly dry Cypress sweater off the blocks and put it on. So lovely! Tights and Blunnies and sweaters; I should live in the tundra or something.
I used Andrea Mowry's Stripes! sweater pattern again, just with a solid color. I made the sleeves slightly shorter as I thought I was playing yarn chicken (which I won, having 24" of the fifth skein left), but it turns out I had another skein hiding in the bottom of a bag. No matter, it will go to good use!
I finally got the hang of using a 9" circular needle so I could do the sleeves in the round--so nice! I don't mind seaming that much, but it is an extra step and uses extra yarn, so I'll probably be doing all my sleeves this way in the future. It also gives me a less painful option to reknit the sleeves longer in the future if I want to. Or maybe *gasp* knit socks?? (Okay, probably not)
I kind of like the slightly shorter length sleeve, to be honest; a 3/4
length sleeve in wool never seemed practical to me, but this is light DK
weight yarn (Chickadee from Quince and Co.), so I think it works. I
have a long sleeve tshirt about the same color as the sweater that I can
layer under this sweater when it is colder. The body is just slightly shorter than my first Stripes! sweater, but it still covers my waistband, so it's fine. I might reblock the body slightly to see if I can get another 1/2". Or I might not.
This color is one of "my" colors--a good clear dark green. I admit, my denim skirt could use a wash to get out some of the wrinkles and bagging in the front, but this is real life, right?
Look, ma, no seams!






You look so good in that green! Also - yay for your weather though I was grudgingly wearing my sweater today. Have you tried 12" circulars? 9" are too small for me but 12" will work (presuming I'm working at a gauge / number of stitches that's about 70). I can't use them for socks, just not enough stitches in thick enough yarn, but I can do sleeves. They are much easier than working on the 9s which is to say, I can use them.
ReplyDeleteI use a 12" for the first few decreases, but then they get too big for the circumference and the 9" is a better fit. It's not my favorite length to use (the tips are so tiny!) but once I get a rhythm it isn't too bad.
DeleteWe have had a really chilly May here in the UK and my sweaters have been worn virtually every day with a pair of trousers (pants). Do you ever wear pants these days? - I have not seen you in any for over 2 years
ReplyDeleteI'm jealous of your weather! I rarely wear trousers because it is VERY difficult to find any that fit me and don't look mumsy. I do have a pair of thrifted slim jeans that I wore a handful of times over the cold months, but I still prefer my skirts and wool tights. :)
DeleteYou would be very welcome to the weather we've had this month, especially the hailstorms! I'm excited that this is the first day in ages that I haven't worn a sweater. Yours is lovely.
ReplyDelete