Monday, June 22, 2020

A Tetrad of Emeralds

Oh summer clothes.  So hard to be comfortable and not wilted-feeling.  I'm mostly into separates, and I have a few thrifted t-shirts that are fine, but almost all need to be tucked in to look good (wahh!)  Sometimes it is just too hot and humid for that mess.



So, I got a bit brave this spring and decided to experiment with a new-to-me silhouette: the boxy cropped top.  (No, not like that. More like this).  Last year, Rae made a few Emerald tops and I loved them so much that I saved my pattern just for that purpose, as the dress had been an epic fail for my figure.  I made a hasty toile to get the fit right, since the sizing chart was really off for me, and then didn't actually make a wearable top last year. 

Until now!  I revisited my toile and made the changes on my flat pattern and made sure it all worked, and also chopped off a bunch of length to get it to Ashton crop top length.  (For the record, I cut all these tops on the straight grain, eliminated the center seam, and took several inches out of the center front and back for a closer fit.  The hem is straight across, about 10" below the undearm, and I cut a 2"-ish facing for all the blouses.  The sleeve facings are brilliant, in my opinion, and the best part of the pattern). 


I wasn't sure I would like it, but I actually do!  It is breezy and cool, comfortable, and while perhaps not the most singularly flattering thing I wear, it does work for summer.  I made four and have worn three of them several times already. 


The first was a minty one, in Mosaic linen from fabrics-store.com.  It is probably my favorite, to be honest.  It's just so fresh.  I roller-skated in it while visiting my parents last week and it was delightful. 


The second was a butterfly lawn one, out of leftover fabric from a dress I've yet to show.  I received the bolt end from fabric.com, so I had a lot of extra to play with (I made a matching mask too--somebody stop me!)  

 

It is perhaps a little bit too much into scrubs territory, but I like it okay.  It goes with several of my skirts.


The third and fourth were eked out of the selvedges of my teal skirt, as I had cut it carefully to preserve yardage for future use.  I ended up getting a skirt and these two blouses plus a mask out of two yards!


I had the idea of using up the remnant of Rifle and Co. rayon from my Menagerie dress, and had enough for a contrast panel only, so I sketched out a few iterations and Boo helped me pick this one.  There are literally fumes of that fabric left.  (Ditto the linen, for that matter).


The rayon facings were a bit fussy to do in rayon (especially when combined with linen), but it is okay.  I decided to let the sleeve facings peek out a bit for some additional contrast on the sleeve edges.


The other blouse is just plain, and I like it quite a bit.  It goes with several skirts as well.  It was ridiculously hot that day, and while I wouldn't say I was cool, I was a lot more comfortable than I usually am in that kind of heat.

4 comments:

  1. oh those look perfect! and that V neck, that's what I wish I had more of! most comfortable! I love all of them the third one, with the different fabric in middle, is really elegant. They all look great though and seriously perfect on the comfort level!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup to it being hard to feel cool and well turned out instead of limp dishrag, but I think these work really well. Love the colours, and I'm with Elizabeth about that v neck. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing use of 2 yards of fabric. My fave is the teal shirt with the contrast fabric...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The contrast teal had to grow on me, I'll be honest. I liked it a lot better with my Spice cake skirt (as pictured on IG) rather than with the matching skirt, although it's nice to have options!

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!