Friday, September 22, 2017

Shlanket

Ladies and Gents, I present: The Shlanket.  Otherwise known as a shawl that wraps like a blanket.  I don't know who coined the phrase (another knitter on the blogosphere) but it perfectly captured my idea for this shawl.


I wanted something that would wrap all the way around me and tie in the back, ala Claire's Rent Shawl in the second half of season 2 of Outlander, or Tess D'Urbavilles' shawl in that excellent series.  I started out using one of the multitude of Rent shawl patterns sometime last year (possibly in the summer or early fall).  The problem was that the increases were only in the center and it was coming out very square.  I could tell that the ends were not going to wrap nicely around me, and also I didn't like the eyelet increases on the center line.  It looked untidy to me.  The straw on the camel's back, however, was the discovery of a mistake on the center increase about 2" from the bottom.  When I was into my second ball of yarn.  There was just.no.way.  So I started again sometime in February.


This time, I used Kay's Tess D'Urbavilles shawl pattern, which was closer to the finished look I wanted, and I knew several other people had made it and liked the end result.  I did end up making the end increases slightly differently than the pattern called for (her pattern is four rows long, with increases on the ends for two rows and increases in the center for two rows) but I made all my increases on the same row and then knit straight for one row.  Because I worked on this in fits and starts, it was much easier to pick up and put down that way, as well as "read" where I was in the pattern.


I used Malabrigo Rios in Azules for this shawl.  I've been holding the yarn for over a year and waiting for the perfect project.  I think the photos don't really do the yarn justice--it is a very pretty variegated yarn that has a depth of color that didn't really come out in the photos.  It goes from the darkest of blue greens all the way to a light periwinkle.  I really like how it looks, and the blues make it quite versatile for my wardrobe.


It is a great layering piece for this time of year and I'm totally happy with how it came out.  In other news, I've worn that chambray skirt quite a few times since I finished it, and I've decided a few things.  Number one is that it is too big.  I made my marigold linen version and took it down a size and the fit is ever so much better.  Every time I wear this chambray version is just feels too big.  The other problem is that because it is too big, I had to make the elastic quite tight, so it is a little bit tricky to get on and off.  The other skirt doesn't have that problem.  I also am not happy with the interfacing in the waist band.  It wants to roll constantly and doesn't look good at the end of the day.  

Finally, I think the skirt is a little too short for my taste.  I added an inch to the other skirt and find that to be about right for my comfort levels.  I am constantly in fear of flashing my bits in this skirt (even though it is probably not really a worry).  I've realized that I can tolerate slightly shorter lengths in fitted skirts because I can feel them on my body and tell if something is showing that shouldn't be.  With a slightly fuller skirt like this, I don't have that same fabric feedback, so if it isn't an inch or two below my knees, I don't have the same security.  It is why I like my dresses slightly longer as well.  I'm thinking I may remake this one in the smaller size with the extra inch of length.  I think I'll be happier with it in the end.

1 comment:

  1. I really like that shawl. It looks great on you. I tried making one like that but it never fit right. Now I might just try again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!