I finally got around to making the Everyday Skirt this past week. I've only had the fabric and pattern since the early spring! I just kept putting it off, although I don't really know why.
Or rather, I do know why. I always have a hard time fitting skirts and I was put off by the very fact that it was a skirt. That really shouldn't have stopped me, as this pattern was easy to put together and really easy to make fitting changes on the fly. It is a slightly different silhouette for me, but I think I like it.
I do think I could have stood to make this skirt a size smaller. I made a large, as the sizing suggestion was to go up if you plan to wear it at your natural waist, and used the medium elastic measurement but I ended up having to cut off more than 2" to make it fit my waist properly. I also feel like there is some excess fabric all around, so I might try it a size down next time. I'll look at the pattern to see how big the grade is between sizes and see. This fabric has a fair bit of body for a chambray, so it might behave differently in linen. I might just leave it. The waist fits, and it is comfortable, so I think it is probably okay.
I think I'd also like another inch of length. I meant to add it when I was cutting and then forgot. I intended to use a bias finish on the hem anyway, and the skirt is long enough, but I do prefer just a bit more knee coverage, especially in a fuller skirt.
I used Petersham to interface the waistband, but the waistband is taller than the 1" ribbon I had, so I had to add fusible, which just isn't as firm. I'm hoping to find some slightly wider Petersham for my next version, as I prefer it to almost any other method of interfacing. I also wondered whether pleats might look better in the front than the gathers (which are a bit fiddly), but I don't know. This was a test run for the marigold linen, so I'll have to decide about it all soon.
I do like it, though. I'm glad I made it, as I now have another skirt silhouette to play around with. My pencil skirt pattern is good and I love the silhouette, but it requires a lot of refitting (or a total remake) when I lose weight (and I'm still trying to lose), so perhaps this style is better for the moment.
Altogether good, I think.
Just the facts:
Chambray skirt: Everyday skirt pattern by Liesl and Co., Robert Kaufman Union AK Chambray (4.3 oz, I think), vintage bias tape, 1/2" elastic.
Purple tshirt: Ann Taylor via ThredUp
Cardigan: Ann Taylor via ThredUp
Tights: Foot Traffic
Sneakers: Keds
Clogs: Dansko via ebay







I think the skirt looks very nice on you - I actually really like the length. I also like the way you've styled it in both instances (that yello cardi is so great!). I've made a few of Liesl's patterns for women and I do find that they run a little on the large side.
ReplyDeleteThanks! That cardi was a great find--it is the perfect yellow for fall, but not so mustardy that it washes me out (I have a hard time wearing yellow, especially near my face).
DeleteGood to know about Liesl's patterns. I find that to be generally true of the Big Four pattern companies as well (hello 10" of ease!)
The skirt looks really cute and is very versatile. I think you can use it with many fabrics without it looking cookie-cutter. I'm glad you mentioned the source of the top because it caught my eye immediately!
ReplyDeleteThanks! The top is a couple years old, and I got it second hand, so I don't know if you'll be able to find something like it, but I've seen similar silhouettes on J.Crew as well. And you can always try ThredUp!! Let me know if you want a referral code.
DeleteI'm actually toying with using some orange plaid wool in my stash for a winter skirt. I got it from another sewing blogger as a destash, and it is vintage. It would make a great pencil skirt, but I'm just not feeling it, so maybe I'll see what happens if I make an everyday skirt out of it!!
fun to try new things! I like it! :) I still have to make a skirt that I bought the fabric and pattern for, but this week is suddenly full-up so I will have to be patient!
ReplyDeleteI think it is very flattering, and the blue tights with it are zippy. Where do you get your Petersham?
ReplyDeleteThanks! The tights are actually a dark grey, but I guess they look kind of blue in the photo. :) I love that brand of tights--I wear them all winter. I get my petersham from etsy sellers. There are a few that sell it new in precut lengths, or you can get vintage lengths, sometimes whole rolls, for not much. I just got 10 yards of 1.5" petersham for about $5. The wider size works better on the skirt (I just finished the gold linen version). I still like having 1" on hand for my pencil skirt, though. Just be sure it is Petersham--some sellers don't know the difference between it and grosgrain ribbon, which doesn't behave the same way for interfacing purposes.
Delete