Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Orkney

I do not love this dress.  It is the second of the Sarah York for Cloud 9 voile dresses (the first being the Hebrides dress which I do like a lot and plan to keep around) and I think it isn't the most flattering print.  It is a very pretty print, but it doesn't "read" that well at a distance, I think.  


It suffered a lot of the same construction issues as the Hebrides, since I made this one in tandem with it.  I did fix the interlining issue at the hem on the front end, which means it looks neater on the inside, but the interlining is still an issue at the shoulders and neckline because of how the whole thing hangs.  


The shoulders did loosen on this one with wearing, but it still isn't the most comfortable thing.  I also really miss having pockets, especially at church, where I'm quite paranoid of locking my keys in the car on accident.  We drive an hour to church, so this is a quite unpleasant thing to happen (and it has, several times!)


I did manage to wear proper sandals the day I wore this dress, and I didn't mind wearing the dress to church, but I'm just not sold on it.  I'll probably keep it for now to have a "nice" dress in reserve, but I really like the Hebrides dress better, and I'm not sure I need two "nice" dresses that aren't getting regular wear.


See--the print is really pretty!  Just hard to see at a distance.  It also reminds me of a print I bought a few years ago that I ended up not liking that much once I made it into a dress.  I think I thought this dress would read darker than it does.


Still, I'm glad I made it because I learned so much in the process and it isn't a total waste in terms of wearability.  

4 comments:

  1. Hello! I somehow found you through a comment you made once long ago on Like Mother, Like Daughter. We too live in Philadelphia -- perhaps we will cross paths one day! In the meantime, I love your dress making, and I aspire to do the same one day!

    God bless,
    Catie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a connection! Thanks for looking me up and taking time to comment! Perhaps we will meet someday. :)

      Delete
  2. Ok, can't help put a pocket on, but perhaps an idea for keys/not locking yourself out. I started always, always locking my vehicle with the key or the key fob. Never, never putting the key in my purse (did I?) and then using the door button. If you only lock with the key, the key is always on the outside of the door when you are done. Haven't locked the keys in the car in years.

    Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually been doing that for a while, but for years, we have also had an extremely elderly Toyota Corolla that it is easy to lock the keys into. The other car has a fob that is easier to use outside the car (and indeed, the batteries on the fob die so often that I'm often manually locking the car from the outside anyway). But there's still the issue of where to put the keys afterward! But as I said, I guess special occasion dresses can do without pockets for those once in a while times. :) Thanks for stopping by to comment!

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!