Time for the weekly round up!
The weather continues to be nutso. I was in bare legs and no cardigan by the end of the day on Monday, and started the day without stockings on Tuesday (and chucked the cardigan mid-morning), but Wednesday was back in stockings and boots and 3/4 sleeves, and there I've stayed the rest of this week. I even considered adding a heavy sweater yesterday, as it was very breezy and cool. Today is rainy and humid, so I'm pretty comfortable in what I have on.
My Zadie dresses have been the surprise hit of this rotation. I've worn them a ton (I even had to make an emergency underarm seam fix to the Market Floral one on Wednesday!) and while I think they are VERY fiddly to make, I really enjoy having them in my closet. My only complaint (aside from pocket construction woes) is that the fabric on both dresses isn't wearing especially well. Because they are printed on one side only, I think the dye isn't very saturated, so the background color on both dresses is starting to fade. They still have plenty of wear left, but I would have expected better, considering the price-per-yard of both fabrics.
My Rifle and Co. rayon dresses have also been great dresses this season. I reach for them pretty often, and I really like the way I feel when I'm wearing one of them. I can layer them up or not, and they still look nice. I have noticed that some dresses are layering-friendly, and others not, but it is nice to have some that look well either way.
I am beginning to suspect that my beloved linen dresses don't really look as good as I think they do. I felt really schlubby all day on Tuesday. Could be that they just don't look that great with a cardigan over the top. I dunno. The kanga pocket does sag rather badly in linen and anything in the pockets looks lumpy and odd.
I keep going back and forth on the chambray dress. I actually like it a lot with the striped shirt underneath (that is basically what I wore all fall, except with a linen dress on top), but I don't care for how the dress looks with a light cardigan. I also do not love how much it off-dyes during the day (blue fingernails/tips, the underarms of my undershirt, etc). It is a nice stand in for my navy linen dress (the back neckline of which is lower than I really like), so maybe it will work out.
I'm mostly at loose ends at the moment. I'm still trying to sort out my summer rotation and everything just feels wrong. I'm tired and bloated and not sleeping all that well, so I think that isn't helping.
I'm going to a reflexology appointment in about an hour; perhaps that will be helpful.

These dresses seem so nice! I particularly like that floral one!
ReplyDeleteI have mixed feelings about linen too. I like the way it feels, and I like how cool it is, but it seems to not ever drape correctly on me. I don't think "graceful and flowing" can stand up to the reality of my overweight Mom body.
I'm going to keep wearing it I think. Better to be comfortable!
Caryn
I know. I think a lot of the linen woes are to do with the fact that the dress looks really shapeless with a cardigan over top. It looks better layered underneath, I think. I've worn my linen dresses a bunch already this week and they seem better with an undershirt.
DeleteI also think you have to embrace the wrinkles as part of the look--it's never going to look crisp and polished. :)