Friday, May 26, 2017

Me Made May: Week Four


What to say about this week except that it was kind of tough?  Not much, I guess.  Yesterday was the feast of the Ascension (and also the close of the Paschal season), so I pulled my Ascension dress out of my summer bin to wear.  It rained heavily all day yesterday and was chilly, so I had to wear long stockings with it.  I'm guessing by the time I wear it for Transfiguration in August, I won't need any accessories!

I did make matching Ascension dresses for the girls (that they can also wear for Transfiguration in August) and was happy with how cute they turned out.  I used a length of fabric I'd bought last summer but never got around to using.  It was more white before I prewashed it, but I made the mistake of prewashing it with some navy blue linen that really bled a lot, so the fabric now has a faint blue cast to it.  I guess it doesn't matter that much since the dresses "read" white at a distance.  

It's been a bit chilly all week; after the extreme heat of last week (Friday hit 97 degrees!), the temps dropped into the low 60s on Saturday and have more or less stayed there all week.  So stockings and cardigans again.  I'm not complaining one little bit!  It is quite damp and humid, though, so I've been avoiding boots.

I pulled out my trusty denim skirt on Tuesday with some misgiving.  Earlier this year, the skirt had become too big on me, and I was ready to remake it sometime in the fall when I decided to try a controlled shrink in the dryer.  I usually machine wash my clothes and line dry almost everything that I wear, but I thought perhaps a go through the dryer might fix the bagginess of the skirt.  It actually worked brilliantly, and I was pleased that I wouldn't have to make it again soon.  It was fine as long as I was wearing tights all the time, which kind of smooth everything out in my belly area, but I've noticed that when I wear it without tights, there are a lot of visible lumps and bumps.  And yes, I know I could just wear a girdle, but my tolerance for girdles is pretty low right now.  So I'm unsure what to do about it all.

I suppose I could just save the skirt for cold-weather wear and make the best of it.  I pretty much only wear it in cold weather anyway, but there are always a few weeks in the spring and fall when I like it without tights.  I did make a navy blue twill skirt for my summer that could work as a warm-weather stand-in, however.  We'll see.  In any case, the ready-to-wear knit shirt I wore with it is clearly too big on me.  I'll probably save it for an undershirt though.

I've been working on my summer rotation, sewing a little bit here and there, and making good progress on my stack.  I have two more dresses to cut out and one more to sew, so I'm in good shape as far as that goes.  My Pentecost dress is done, so at least I'm not on a deadline with anything.  I have a few nice things for a couple of events we have this summer, so I'm also feeling okay about that too.

I need to get myself back together on a lot of levels.  I feel like I've fallen apart this month.  My sleeping has been poor because of sick kids/husband, my husband has been gone a LOT, I've not been feeling well for a while, my eating and other good habits have really taken a beating.  I'm just drifting.  I have things piled up that I can't seem to get to because my energy levels are rotten and my focus is gone.  I'm frustrated about it, because it feels like I had something good in my grasp just a few weeks ago and I lost it.  And I don't know how to find it again.  I guess I just have to keep reaching for it and pray that God gives it back to me.






2 comments:

  1. Not only do I not see any lumps or bumps in the photo of you wearing the denim skirt, but actually I pulled up the comment box with the intention of saying how much I liked the center outfit in your collage. It looks comfy but smart and is so flattering on you! The shirt looks nice in the collage - kind of intentionally blousey, actually, but maybe that's the angle. Anyway, don't ditch the skirt!

    I'm sorry you're not feeling well and I hope it gets better. I'll say a prayer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for this big struggle. Lord have mercy, it's hard. Will pray for you. Hang in there....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!