Thursday, June 9, 2016

What's Up, Buttercup?

I admit, I may or may not have titled this dress Buttercup, just for the blog post title.   The fabric is from the Buttercup line at Cloud 9 fabrics, so that had a bigger role, but still.  A good blog post title is not something to sniff at.  Because that sort of thing is important, you know. <snort>


In any case, I greet you all on the feast of the Ascension of our Lord!  I'm off to church in a little bit, so I'll try to keep this brief.  We had a big storm yesterday that broke the humidity and heat (finally!) and it is a breezy 60 degrees today!  I wasn't expecting it when I got dressed today, so I was scrambling to find a cardigan to throw over this.  The liturgical colors for today are white, so I thought this dress was perfect.

 

I decided to experiment a little with trim and ties on this Dottie Angel frock.  My first attempt at ties, on my very first Dottie Angel frock, didn't go well.  They looked really strange on me, and hit me at a weird place on my torso; I've been reluctant to try them again, but I had some crochet lace that was a perfect match for the fabric, and I thought the light colors could use some contrast, so after a bit of waffling, I decided to go for it.  I think it works!


I did have a very hard time getting them even from one side to the other--I think I took them out and moved them a few millimeters about four times!  I do kind of like the ties on this version, but I think that is partly because they are so far to the back, and also I think the wider crochet lace helps keep it all smooth.


I edged the pocket facing with the same lace and am very pleased with how it came out.  


I also put trim around the bottom, and it was difficult to get the lace "caught" in the seam and keep it all even along the edge.  I'm still not sold on the hem trim, and may end up taking it out, but I like the rest of the effect.


The fabric is a mid-weight cotton, and feels quite nice against the skin.  It behaves well, doesn't wrinkle too badly (I took these after a fairly long school drop off--traffic was terrible this morning!), and despite the pale color, I think it suits my complexion well enough.  It's not my favorite dress from this rotation, but I will still wear it and enjoy it.  


I decided to add this tealy-blue cardigan from the spring into my summer rotation because it goes well with this dress (and none of my other summer cardis work) and with the Liberty #3 dress.  With the sudden change in weather, I may need some layers for a week or two.

I'm still recovering from the dilation earlier this week--it has been slower than some of my other procedures, and I'm still having a lot of difficulty getting food down.  It is a little better every day, but everything still hurts on the way down.  I think the fact that it is getting better is a good sign.  Probably just needs a few more days, and then we'll see.  Everything is still swollen and inflamed, so it is hard for me to evaluate how successful this one was.

Just the facts:
Buttercup dress: Simplicity 1080 (redrafted), Cloud 9 Buttercup fabric, vintage crochet lace, vintage bias tape
Axcess cardigan: via ThredUp
Necklace: flea market
Earrings: gift (thrifted)
Shoes: dansko via ebay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!