A friend posted the following on her blog a few weeks ago, and I was so taken by it, I knew I needed to repost it here for Talking Tuesday. Lewis never disappoints.
"I know all about the despair of overcoming chronic temptations. It is not serious, provided self-offended petulance, annoyance at breaking records, impatience, etc. doesn’t get the upper hand. No amount of falls will really undo us if we keep on picking ourselves up each time.
We shall of course be very muddy and tattered children by the time we reach home. But the bathrooms are all ready, the towels put out, and the clean linen clothes are in the airing cupboard. The only fatal thing is to lose one’s temper and give up. It is when we notice the dirt that God is most present to us: it is the very sign of his presence."
~C.S. Lewis, The Collected Letters of C. S. Lewis, volume 2, ed. Walter Hooper (Harper: San Francisco, 2005), 506–507.

Encouraging words!
ReplyDeleteI am still thinking of that quotation today! Just finished Lewis In A Time of War and started on his letters to Arther Greeves, They Stand Together.
ReplyDelete