Friday, May 6, 2016

Me Made May '16: Week One

Time to wrap up week one of Me-Made May!

(click to embiggen)

I can't believe that I'm still wearing wool sweaters and heavy tights during the first week of May!  But it has barely edged above 50 degrees all week, with lots of rain, so the damp cold just gets into my bones.  I guess it is good that I'm not looking longingly at my summer rotation pieces just yet!

We also had workmen in the house this week, installing ductless AC in the back half of the house (for reasons way too complicated to go into, we can't put it into the front half of the house; we'll still have to use our two floor units on the second and third floor front rooms, and just hope for the best in the living room).  But I think it will be a vast improvement over the last nine years of sweltering summer heat!  The humidity here is hardly to be believed, and then combined with Southern-style summer temps, the weather in the summer is really awful.  The ambient temperature in our house in the summer has typically been in the mid-to-upper 80s.  In short: soporific temps.  I always feel like summers are lost time for me, as a result.  I'm hoping that will not be so much the case this year.  I'm also hoping the kids will sleep better if they aren't so hot all night.

But the disruption of two guys clomping up and down the stairs all day, windows and doors standing open to the chill, having to stay in the house for two full days, meant for a pretty non-productive week.  It is okay--short term pain for long-term gain.  They still have about half a day's work left, but will come back on Monday to finish up.  

I'm still falling asleep at weird times and feeling kind of worn out all the time; I'm probably coming down with a little virus, which doesn't help.

As for Me-Made May.  My denim skirt is getting a bit big in the waist (about an inch at the moment) but I want to wait until fall to take it in, since I may lose more weight over the summer.  (My rust cord skirt will need some similar attention around the same time, so might as well kill two birds with one stone).  I also want to give it another wash, since the cotton will shrink up a bit in the wash--it always does.  The cotton teal-green sweater I have on with that skirt (fourth photo from left) is also getting too big (and I got it second hand right at the end of the winter!), but that is okay.  It actually turned out to be a great transition piece for the spring, and I'm glad I got a season's wear out of it.  I don't know if I mentioned this, but I ended up tacking down the collar of my Rosemont cardigan, because it just wanted to roll in weird ways constantly.  It sort of drove me nuts.  The collar didn't do this at all during blocking, or even when I took it off, but I just couldn't get the collar to lie right without tacking it down.  It looks much better now, I think.

The boys have a half day today and my mother-in-law is coming this afternoon, so I'd better keep plugging away at stuff this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!