Friday, May 20, 2016

Me Made May Week #3

Wearing (left to right): First Light dress, Liberty #3 dress, denim skirt, Liberty #3 dress, Return to Tokyo dress, denim skirt, Poppy Parade dress

The weather continues on its weird course this month.  I'm mostly wearing lighter sweaters and in the last day or two have put my tall boots away (again!) but am still wearing tights for at least half the day.  Today is supposed to be freakishly warm, but then it will drop back down to the 50s tomorrow.  

I'm trying to wear my hair down more lately--just for a change of pace.  I can't really stand to have hair on my neck once it is hot and my hair picks up a lot of static when I wear heavy sweaters in the winter, so I figure might as well get it in while I can!

I rediscovered that teal-blue cardigan this week and am glad I hung on to it.  It is ending up a great transition piece that I can wear with a dress or as a top.  I like the shape of it and there is a slight bit of texture to the fabric that makes it slightly interesting.  The color is pretty good on me too, I think, so there's that.  I've gotten a lot of compliments on the Liberty #3 dress, so I think it is a winner!  I feel good in that dress, as well as the First Light dress.  Both excellent late additions to my spring rotation.

I think one of the pressures I feel during Me-Made May is to wear something different each day, just so the photos don't get boring (I picked my dress this morning largely on that basis).  But that's just silly.  Most of us wear the same things all the time, and the point of Project 333 is to learn to work with less on a seasonal basis.  I'm not really one of those people who gets really creative with a small wardrobe and wears things in unexpected ways.  I tend to wear the same cardigans with the same dresses, same tops with the same skirts.  I suspect many women do the same.  That's okay.  I've been thinking more about why I do Project 333, and what my ultimate goals are with the project, and I hope to come up with something a little more coherent soon.

I don't really have much to say about this week.  I'm having a lot of bad food days--both from a too-many-calories perspective, and from a "I don't know what to eat anymore and my insides hurt" perspective.  I'm discouraged.  My food list is still about 5 foods and I'm tired of feeling sick from eating.  

I looked back over some reports from My Fitness Pal and I realized I have been gaining and losing the same 3-5 pounds every couple of weeks since the beginning of the new year.  I don't really feel very good about that.  I suppose it is better than gaining back everything I lost last year, but I still feel like I have such a long way to go, that it is hard to feel stuck.  I know that I should just buckle down and cut out another 300-500 calories per day, but with my diet being so severely restricted, particularly in regard to high volume/high fiber foods that help keep things steady, I'm just kind of lost as to how to do that, and still be functional as far as blood sugar goes.  


I started using Duolingo for Russian language this week.  I have been studying Russian since 1998, and would describe myself as functional, but not literate or particularly conversational.  I want to learn more, and I want to revisit some of my PhD research on the imagery of the Soviet Union. I downloaded a Cyrillic keyboard which helped a lot--I was super frustrated with the program when it was in Beta, because I found the it didn't really like transliterations that weren't precisely what had been programmed.  I probably should have been able to test out of some stuff, except for that little quirk.  I just decided to start at the beginning and go from there.  I'm worked for several hours yesterday before my brain fried and I'm hoping to get in some more practice this morning while my sitter is here.  Better get on with it before the morning is gone.

3 comments:

  1. I understand wanting to do things one used to do in research, I've been feeling that too. I like your outfits and agree, it's normal to wear something more than once/week! I am at near my heaviest weight (about 5 lbs less) and well, I just want to stay there. I think that is success and you really do look nice, you know. :) The weather has been odd. So sorry you have so many food restrictions and sickness. love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are a fan of snoods and/or classic 1940s war worker style headscarves/turbans? Both can be a marvelous way to help keep your hair off your neck in the hotter months, while still adding visual interest to you 'do.

    I think it's wonderfully commendable that you've been learning Russian over the years and wish you nothing but the best in continuing to grow your skills with it.

    Many hugs & happy weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, as always! I used to wear snoods and 1940s style head wraps a lot, but have kind of fallen out of the practice since I don't regularly set my hair any longer. I did do a fast and dirty Victory roll hair do this week, though, and liked it a lot again. I may go back to it this summer and add in my snoods and scarves! I did used to wear them a lot in the summer. I don't mind wearing my hair up, and have a lot of options for doing so, but I sometimes struggle with how severe it can look from the front. The way I do my Victory rolls usually fixes that; I just need to get back to it! Thanks for the push!

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!