I finally finished the 1918 Outing Sweater! It only took me 11.5 months. I had originally hoped to finish it in time for the Blue challenge in February (ha!) but obviously that didn't happen with the horrendous winter/sick season we had.
To be fair, I didn't work on it steadily this year, as I found the going rather tedious at times (garter stitch, garter stitch, and more garter stitch--did I mention it was a lot of garter stitch??) But! I did finish the thing. It is rather cleverly constructed, and while I would have preferred something with a more interesting stitch pattern, it was a fairly straight-forward pattern.
I realized about three quarters through that it was going to come out too big. I had added stitches to the hips because I was considerably bigger when I began the project, and was concerned about it being too tight at the bottom. But then I started this weight loss journey, and everything happened with my throat (and continues to be a problem) and now the sweater is just too big.
I've also sort of fallen out of love with making costuming pieces for every day wear, and this sweater is quite long on me, both at the bottom and from the shoulder to the mid-bust. I had to put a pretty handkerchief under the collar gap to keep it modest. It is period appropriate for the late 1910s (and would have been worn with a blouse in any case), but it looks like a dress on me, and just overwhelms my frame, I think. I did learn a lot by making it, so I'm glad of the experience.
Once I realized the sweater wasn't going to fit or suit me, I asked on a 1910s costuming forum if anyone wanted it, and I had several takers immediately. So Sharon B has this beauty in her hands by now, and I hope she wears it in good health!!
I'm counting this as my second Historical Sew Monthly entry for December: Redo (Blue challenge).
The Challenge: Redo (Blue)
Fabric: Lion's Brand Wool Ease Yarn in Navy, 7.5 skeins
Pattern: 1918 Outing Sweater Pattern (free pattern)
Year: 1918
Notions: 2 vintage buttons from the stash
How historically accurate is it? Pretty accurate! I followed the instructions as written. The only mods I made were to add 10 stitches to the front and back in the bottom section below the ribbing to make it wider through the hips, and I used the same yarn throughout rather than making the collar from white angora as suggested.
Hours to complete: oodles.
First worn: November 23, 2015 for photos only
Total cost: $56
And on to other yarn works in progress (and linking with Ginny for Yarn Along)
I've had this sweater pattern for a while now, and after making the Ramona cardigan, I feel quite confident about a top-down raglan sleeve construction. I really like the fit and feel of raglan sleeves in a knit, so I'm eager to knit this sweater. I'm planning to use the blue yarn pictured above--it is Wool of the Andes in Sapphire blue worsted. I've gotten gauge already, so I just need to cast this puppy on.
Next up: The Saucy Librarian sweater in Aurora green, also Wool of the Andes but sport weight. I'm really enjoying this knit. It is finer gauge, but still is going by pretty quickly. It is also top down raglan sleeve construction, and I'm planning to lengthen the sleeves to 3/4 or full length. The color didn't come out properly in the photos, but it is a lovely forest green with hints of blue and black. I'm hoping I finish it before the season is over!
I'm farthest along on this next project: the Comfy cardigan. This is another Knitting Pure and Simple pattern, and I like the pattern well enough. Again: top down, raglan construction, with an eyelet edge. I think if I make this pattern again, I would do simple increases instead of the yarn over for the eyelet, but this is fine for this sweater. This yarn is the same burgundy yarn I started the Rivoli sweater with (and later frogged for a variety of reasons).
At this point, I just want to use the yarn up already. I probably wouldn't purchase it again, but it feels good to stash bust it. It is a soft cotton/acrylic mix, but it sheds like crazy and I'm a little concerned about the sweater holding its shape. I guess we shall see. I'm about half way down the body of the sweater, and then sleeves, neck band and button bands to do. I'm doing long sleeves, I think (or at least 3/4 length), and will probably construct them similarly to the Ramona. I think it will make a nice addition to my fall rotation.
Finally: my Hitchhiker scarf! This is kind of fun, and something easy to pick up and put down. I don't have a deadline for this scarf, as I just kind of like it as a smaller project. It is interesting to see how the striping is coming out in garter stitch. I'm curious if it would look different in stockinette. The pattern is surprisingly easy to "read" in the knitting, and almost mindless (but not numbingly so). It is my first time working with actual sock yarn and I kind of like it.
My ravelry page isn't up to date with any of these projects, so I won't link it here, but I'll try to get it updated soon.
| I've also got two more books on my kindle that I'm working through: Extreme Ownership and Unbeatable Mind. Extreme Ownership is pretty good; Unbeatable Mind has been a tough slog. |
As for reading, I'm still working on that background research for the spec-ops character I'm developing, as well as Rod Dreher's How Dante Can Save Your Life. As I wrote yesterday, there is much to consider in the book.
I also started watching The Man In the High Castle on Amazon, and it is very well done. I read a book in that vein a number of years ago that took a similar tack (the Nazis won, but didn't occupy America--Joseph Kennedy had won the election in the 1930s, and I think there wasn't a war between America and Germany in that alt. history). I love those kinds of intellectual thought experiments.
I'm two thirds of the way through season three of Person of Interest (my second go-through) and I'm still gutted by season 3--so much happens in 3 that is so hard!! I'm eager to see where season five takes us in the spring.
Go see Ginny for more great yarn work!





Wow, I'm impressed! My knitting career hasn't extended much past a scarf a year.
ReplyDeleteWow! That is amazing. All the garter stitch will definitely take time. It looks so very warm!
ReplyDeleteyou may not like it or enjoy the knitting but it looks fabulous! so much work in it! and yes a learning experience. I am sure it will be enjoyed and loved.
ReplyDeleteThis is just wonderful Juliana. It is truly inspiring...thank you so much for sharing. mari
ReplyDeleteThe 1918 sweater is gorgeous, I love the shaping, and it's such a pretty colour. Mind you, the sapphire worsted looks beautiful as well. I'm looking forward to seeing how all these projects turn out (and envying your awesome knitting skills!)
ReplyDelete