I don't have much to write about this dress except for the fact that I made it from Hampton Twill, and it was my first go at making my Frankenpattern with a heavier weight material. It actually worked out pretty well. I've had this fabric in my bin for quite a while now, and had intended to make something else with it, but this type of dress is what I wear most often, so I decided to just go for it.
I had originally intended red buttons and buckle, but thought it might be too limiting as a color palette (although I do love red and peacock teal together!) I saw this butterscotch set (rescued from the Mustang Daisy dress after I accidentally shrunk it in the wash) and decided it was a good color coordination.
I almost did some hand embroidery around the neckline in a neutral color, but decided I just needed to keep the dress simple, and also, I didn't really have time to take on a project like that. This dress just needed to go into the winter rotation. I finished it sometime in November, and I have to move the slide for the hook and eye on the belt already--I had to pin it this morning.
The color of the twill didn't really come through on the photos--it is a much more saturated teal color than it looks like. The sweater is a merino number I picked up from the Gap in November. It is very cropped, just to give you an idea of how short-waisted I really am.
I think it is a nice length for dresses. I do wish it had a wider scoop so I could wear it as a top, because jewel necklines just look bad on me. I've pretty much decided I shouldn't wear turtlenecks, crew necks, or jewel necks, no matter how much I like them. Cowl and scoop necks are much more flattering on me.
The detail on this button and buckle set is just lovely--I really love the deep saturated color.
This photo shows the color of the dress a bit better. It is quite a dark teal, really.
I wasn't sure about it until I did the photos, but I think it is a good dress.
It is St. Nicholas Day today, so the kids found these in their shoes this morning:
The peg dolls are their patron saints. I commissioned them from a friend with an etsy shop. She does amazing work. I have another set of four that I'm saving for Boo's namesday.
Peacock Twill dress: Hampton Twill in Peacock, bias tape, vintage buttons/belt buckle, zip, elastic for waist
Red merino wool cropped sweater: Gap
Tights: Foot Traffic
Boots: Macy's
Brooch: etsy
Earrings: Target

Oh what fun colors to join together! I love how rich everything is. Job well done and a great inspiration for sure!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Gina
Looks so retro, great look!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.pixics.com/blog