I think anyone who has followed my sartorial journey on this blog will notice that there has been a subtle style shift over time. I think it is only natural, and in a way helpful, to drop into a groove. I'm finally starting to feel like I'm getting there in terms of what I want to wear on a daily basis, and therefore, what sorts of projects to make that will best suit me. I still love vintage styles, and clothing history is particularly interesting to me, and I think my style will always have some vintage elements to it, but I'm no longer trying so hard to achieve a specific vintage "look."
A while back, I watched a European film with Liv Ullman called Two Lives (I highly recommend the film--it is European noir storytelling at its finest, and the Cold War storyline is both compelling and chilling). I always notice costuming choices in films and shows now, and the knitwear in this film is particularly good. But what really captured my attention was an outfit worn by Ullman in the opening sequence of the film--a rather ordinary denim skirt with a tunic-length cowl-necked sweater.
I decided I needed to make a denim skirt stat. I did look around to see if there was something comparable in ready-to-wear, but as always, I was underwhelmed by the offerings. Almost every denim skirt on offer had a front closure, which I find particularly unflattering to my figure type, and almost all were well above knee length. I did find one or two that were close to what I wanted, but didn't have pockets or a proper waistband. The longer skirts tended to be gored and ankle length. Not really what I wanted.
So I trundled off to Denver Fabrics to find some denim. I got lucky and found a nice length for under $20, and eagerly awaited its arrival. I ordered some gold thread from Wawak for the top stitching, and plotted my design. I used my vintage Anne Adams straight skirt pattern, and made the fit modifications that I have made for the last few iterations (I'm leaving off all the seam allowances during cutting, and sewing 1" seam allowances). I put in a back center zip to reduce bulk on the side seams and also make it easier to take in when I lose more weight.
I've shrunk out of three skirts in the last two weeks, and I expect I will have to take this skirt in again in the spring. I'm debating what to do about those three skirts that are now unwearably too big. I've already taken the Shetland flannel skirt once and the burgundy skirt in twice. The navy twill skirt is equally too large. I might just let them go and start over again next season. I've been sewing up my winter rotation projects, and I'm not feeling like I need them for the winter. I'm also questioning whether I even want a navy twill skirt, because I sort of feel like what I've really been missing is a denim skirt and now I have one!
What I like about this skirt is that it is nice and casual. I was deliberate about the gold top stitching to keep the skirt very casual. I often struggle to find the right balance of properly dressed and overdressed. I've said before that this is an exceedingly casual dressing city, and while I don't want to look schlubby, I also don't want to look overdressed all the time either. It makes me feel weird and out of place. I feel weird and out of place enough already, I don't need my clothes contributing to the problem.
A few construction details: I split my Hollyburn pocket in half and used some leftover Cotton and Steel fabric from one of my winter dresses to make part of the pocket facing and reduce bulk on the pocket seam. If I do this again, I will make one or two construction changes to make it a straight up two part pocket rather than seaming it down the middle for the fold, but this worked okay.
I zig-zagged all the pinked edges because the fabric sheds like crazy. I also decided against a button hole and went with dress slide and snap for the closure as I felt it looked better. I used a heavier weight metal zip for the back closure. All in all, I'm pretty happy with how it came out.
Just the facts:
Rust henley: Chaps via ThredUp
Zwei Leben denim skirt: me-made using Anne Adams 9481 with Hollyburn pocket addition
Tights: Foot Traffic in Heather Mocha
Boots: B.O.C. by Macy's
Earrings: Target (old)
I love the skirt! It's a great outfit & very lovely on you!
ReplyDeletenice skirt! :) like the sweater too! :)
ReplyDeleteSewing with denim always inspires awe in me but you made it sound accessible.
ReplyDeleteIt's really not that bad! I recommend using a jeans needle, as it is heavy enough to puncture the material and not break constantly. I also recommend zig-zagging the raw edges if you don't have a serger, because they are prone to fraying, but otherwise, it handles like any other mid-weight to heavy weight fabric.
Delete