In light of everything that has happened, it seems more than a little superficial to return to the regularly scheduled light program of mundane domestic life and sewing and knitting related posts with the odd deep thought here and there. I do know from experience, however, that we cannot hold tightly to our first grief forever, and that a new normal does eventually reassert itself. Grief always marks a person, and loss stays with you. I suppose some of the pain of being human is that of loss.
Interestingly enough, I do think this is one of the larger themes of the Outlander book series--that of loss, of grief, of the slow process of putting one's life back together after irreparable change and trauma. The traumas and losses experienced by the characters stay with them, become a part of who they are, influence the choices they make and the responses they have. I think it is also one of the reason why the books resonate with so many readers--the themes are part of the universal human experience, and there is something there that anyone can relate to. Outlander has given language to much of my own grief about Philip's death over the years; for that alone, I'm profoundly grateful to the series.
So far, the Starz series has proven a good, if not entirely faithful adaptation. There are some things that simply don't translate well to the screen, and some minor changes were made for story arc or thematic reasons, but for the most part, the episodes and experiences of the books are all there, played out on the screen. We see Claire's frantic attempts to get back to the stones, and to Frank; we see her grief at the possibility that he is lost forever; we identify with Frank's despair and anger at Claire's perceived abandonment. We feel Claire's increasing attachment to Jamie, her accommodation to living in the past, while at the same time trying desperately to hang on to her 20th century self.
But enough about that. I have a sewing post that I'll put up as soon as I can get photos taken, as it was another Historical Sew Monthly Stashbusting Challenge, and I plan to participate in Spring for Cotton, so I'm sure there will be some sewing-related posts for that as well. I've gotten some knitting done lately as well, so I have a Yarn Along post ready for Wednesday. In short, trying to find the new normal, which will include a lot of the old normal.
Outfit details:
18th century petticoat skirt: me-made
Ralph Lauren sweater: via ThredUp
JCrew teal blue t-shirt: via ThredUp
Capelet: knitted by me
belt: etsy

yes, new normals are always happening and grief for sure is part of our life here. Fr. Matthew is and was clearly a very special person and priest, who loved people and our Good Lord. Praying for you all and sending love.
ReplyDeleteoh ps: I do rather like your outfit, btw.
ReplyDeleteI love your outfit! And I have been keeping you all in my prayers - it must be hard, as you say, to get back to 'normal.' Look forward to seeing your new makings.
ReplyDeleteAnd I really must read this series - I must be the only person in the WORLD who hasn't read it!
ReplyDelete