Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Five Favorites: Communist Bloc Edition

Been a while since I did one of these lists, but I was listening to some music in the car, which reminded me of a movie I love, and well,...things sort of rolled from there.  So without further ado, I present five favorites of the Slavic/Communist Bloc variety.

~1~


The CD I was listening to in the car was La Vent Du Nord's Dans Les Airs.  They are actually a French-Canadian folk group, but it suddenly occurred to me that several tracks remind me of the soundtrack to one of my favorite Russian films (see #2).  I've really enjoyed this album in the past few months.  I took a break for Lent, but I sometimes need a break from Lenten music in the middle of the season.

~2~



One of my favorite Russian movies is Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears.  It is from the early 1980s, and it follows a group of friends for about 20 years, starting in the mid-1960s.  I find so many things about the storylines compelling, and I realize that it is a fairly sunny view of life in the Soviet Union, but I've also seen some of that life lived out, so there is some truth there as well.  I think some of what I like about the film is that everything seems so familiar somehow.

~3~



I can't really mention Russian films and not talk about Ostrov (The Island).  I was fortunate to be in Russia on a month-long language study when it was in theaters there, and was able to see it twice in Russian.  I missed some of the details, owing to my own less than stellar language skills, but I really loved the film.  I was grateful to watch it again with English subtitles about a year later when it came to the States.  

~4~


I have to mention another favorite film that I've written about on the blog before, long ago: Zelary.  It is in Czech (with a little German thrown in here and there) and it is just so wonderful on so many levels.  It technically takes place before the Communists took over, but I still think it belong in this list, and since its my list, I can do what I want to.  (nana-nana-boo-boo).  I think the best part for me is the picture of old-world village life--the simplicity and complexity of human relationships in a small intimate setting.  I like that it doesn't romanticize the people who live in small villages, but yet the richness of human connection is very present.  Plus it is a cracking good story.

~5~



And finally, Slavenka Draculic's How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed.  She is writing from Yugoslavia/Croatia in the 1980s, and she captures so much of what I find fascinating about Soviet life.  It is light and readable, with many personal touches and lots of dark humor, which I enjoy.

~Bonus~




I have a handful of German films from the Communist period (or about it) that I really love:

***

There are obviously many other books and films about Russia, the Soviet Union, and the former Communist bloc countries that I would recommend, but this is my short list.

Linking with Jenna for Five Favorites!  

6 comments:

  1. sadly I still need to see the Island! we just never watch videos and my laptop is not working for DVDs and we have not had time to figure out why... loved reading this! I totally understand the need to have a bit of a reprieve... we are almost there, hang in there; we are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It is actually the perfect thing to watch during Lent--the major theme of the film is one of repentance.

      Delete
  2. I can honestly say I haven't see a single one of these! Barbara looks like something I might like. Netflix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everything is available on netflix either in DVD or streaming, but I know Barbara is available for streaming.

      Delete
    2. Juliana, I have been reading your blog for some months. I really enjoy all the topics to cover. I hope that you will do a list of books on the same subject as the movies. There's something that intrigues my soul about Russia. I've recently started watching The Americans on Amazon Prime and remembered your list of movies and came back to get the titles.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for stopping by and taking time to comment! Russia speaks to my soul too. I'm enjoying The Americans as well--there are so many interesting aspects to it. I did do a pretty long book list a while back, but it was more general--I should do a Russia-specific one! Thanks for the nudge. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!