Some of you may remember the gray skirt I made earlier this fall. I ended up giving it away because even after fiddling with the darts, I still couldn't get a good fit around the waist. And the pockets added bulk right where I don't need it. In addition, the gray flannel had washed differently from the brown and a lot of the herringbone pattern definition was lost on the gray for some reason.
So I decided to pull out the Anne Adams mail order pattern I'd used for the back portion of the gray one and use the whole skirt pattern and see how it came out fit-wise. I cut into my cinnamon Shetland Flannel, pinned and then set it aside. I kind of hit the wall with sewing this fall. It seemed like everything I made was a wadder (I've made a few things that I haven't even shown here because I just don't like them) and I couldn't fit myself for schmatz. Oh yeah, and my weight has been fluctuating about 5 pounds every month. Super fun times.
So I bought a few wool pencil skirts on ebay and etsy for the cold weather, as I'd given up on fitting into the ones I wore in between my pregnancies with Birdie and Ponchik. I nearly put the pieces for this skirt into my fabric bin to deal with at a later date, but about a week ago, I decided I should just make it up and see how it looked.
I'm glad I did! It is one of the best-fitting skirts I've made so far and it was easy to sew up. I think I could probably get it done in an hour in the future, as I had to take the zipper out and redo the whole waist band the first time because I needed to add in a second set of darts. I moved the zipper to the side and left the lining off this one, which was the right call.
I used a rust-colored vintage button from the stash--this fabric is a bit into the rust family, but there is black in the cross-weave, so it is pretty versatile as far as colors go. The zipper isn't my finest work, but the second insertion went better than the first, so that is something.
I made the waist band much thinner than any other skirt I've made thus far, and I really like the change. It is roughly the width of the wool skirts I bought and sits very well--some of my other waistbands have a tendency to roll without a belt, but this one seems to stay put.
Ponchik has been getting up for the day at 3:00 a.m. these last few days, which, combined with Birdie's stomach flu and Piglet's respiratory virus, is just super. I'm running on fumes. I'm off to the accupuncturist in a few minutes--maybe he can do something for me.
Outfit Deets:
Cinnamon Flannel skirt: Anne Adams 9481, using Robert Kaufman Shetland Flannel in Cinnamon
Fat Face cardigan sweater: ThredUp (I love this top, by the way--it is the perfect vintage length and the little openwork detail around the yoke is wonderful)
Bird brooch: Acorn and Will
Earrings: from my mom
Boots: ModCloth

Yay for making something you like that fits!
ReplyDeleteLove the herringbone and the pattern! Hope everyone's better at your house soon and that you can get some much needed rest.
ReplyDeletelove that skirt, fit and colour!!!
ReplyDelete*
So sorry for the continued illness of the kids and the exhaustion... hang in there.... and we are praying for you.
Thanks all. Still have some sick kiddos and the nights have been horrendous--I just want to sleep two consecutive hours--I don't think I'm asking a lot!! Hoping things look up soon.
ReplyDeleteHey Jules:
ReplyDeleteI could not see the skirt for the boots. Girl, give 'em up!!!!!
Cheers,
Lyric (Siobhan at "our" group)
Modcloth, baby! They were really reasonable, but I ended up getting them resoled, which was a bit pricey. But I wear them all the time, so I think it was worth it to get more wear out of them!
Delete