Friday, March 16, 2012

Quick Takes: CHOP Edition


--1--

 

Sorry I was AWOL last week.  I spent last Friday in New York City doing a food challenge for tuna fish.  And passed. My allergist said I could also try salmon and cod at home since the tuna went so well. So yay for fish!  I had fish and chips yesterday for lunch and a tuna noodle casserole for dinner. It was lovely.

--2--

Birdie had her Big Procedures this week and stayed overnight at CHOP.  Everything went very well, and we now have a few more pieces of her health puzzle in place.  While I'm glad they were able to figure a few things out, we have a long road ahead and I feel sort of overwhelmed by the whole thing.

--3--

The first is that she has broncho- and tracheomalacia, in addition to the larygnomalacia that was already diagnosed.  Essentially, her entire upper airway is floppy and collapses with every breath.  There isn't much we can do about it except wait for her to get bigger so that she can manage it better.  Right now, every cold is a respiratory crisis.  Our wonderful pulmonologist is starting us on a new medication that is supposed to help strengthen the muscular walls of the bronchi and trachea.  So we'll see.

--4--

The reason we had to stay overnight at CHOP was because GI wanted to place a probe to watch her reflux activity for 24 hours.  They also did an endoscopy at the same time pulmonary was in there.  The endoscopy was normal, but we don't yet have the results from the probe as it will take some time to collate the data.  On the upside, she did have a very typical day for reflux, coughing, and vomiting, so hopefully the probe will reveal something useful.

--5--

CHOP nurses are the best.  That is all.

--6--


And now for complete frivolity.  Today I made my first attempt at Victory rolls with my hair, and I think I like it!  Unfortunately, the photo doesn't really show all the details, but suffice to say it looks pretty 1940s! (Just ignore my bare and puffy face; it is spring and my eyes are a mess).

--7--



Here's one of the projects I showed at Spring Fling last Saturday.  I CASEd it from Diane Vander Galien at splitcoast.  I really love how this came out--I used Boho Blossoms for the flowers.  I need to remember to use that punch more often--it has so many possibilities!!


Bonus: I love the effect of Instagram, but I don't have an iPhone, nor do I plan to get one any time soon.  So I googled around a bit and found this great program that has similar filters to the Instagram program.  I used it on the photos of Birdie and me in this post.  So handy!!  

Go see Jen for more Quick takes!

2 comments:

  1. Random FYI from the crazy land of social media coverage (i.e., my world): if you happen to have, say, an Android device instead of an iPhone, Android is coming out with an Instagram app soonish. :) I have an Android phone so I'm excited about this myself!

    Also, I'm glad to hear Birdie's procedures occurred without a hitch! Will be praying the capable docs get to the bottom of her physical struggles...

    --Donna in Scranton

    ReplyDelete
  2. #2: Ah yes... I remember the no-no's from Daniel's days in the PICU and peds wards last year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!