Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Bond, James Bond...


My dad had surgery on his shoulder last week to repair a torn rotator cuff and remove some bone spurs. My parents live in the Midwest, so they got hit with the blizzard and 18" of snow that everyone else west of the Mississippi did, so his surgery was delayed a day, but he did have it, and everything went well, thank God! The tears were less than 50% tears, which meant they could be repaired laproscopically instead of by opening up his whole shoulder, which has a recovery time of days rather than the months of the latter option. I talked to him the day after and he sounded very chipper and upbeat, and said he felt hardly any pain. But the following day, the nerve block had worn off and he was feeling pretty stiff and sore. But my dad is nothing if not a trooper, so I expect he'll soldier through this just like every other physical difficulty in his life. He's my hero. :)

I wanted to make him a card and a little care package to have after the surgery, so I made this card, and sent him my three favorite Sean Connery James Bond movies (Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger--since you asked!). I did a 30 page paper on the Connery Bond movies for my master's degree some years back and had to watch them all multiple times, so I was well acquainted with my faves. (The paper was about how the current trends in politics, society and even fashion were reflected in the Bond movies over time, but really it was just a good excuse to drool over a young Connery and get a good grade for doing so...) :)

The card uses a Stamping 411 sketch from a few weeks ago, and the rest of the card kind of evolved from there. I had a white Plenty of Petals embossed panel lying around from something else, and decided it made a good background for my tree. A scrap of Daffodil delight ribbon waiting for use was the perfect pop of color against all that green and brown. All in all, a nice masculine get-well card. Well, in my opinion at least!

Well, it is cold here today (11 degrees!) so stay warm if you are cold like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!