Friday, March 1, 2024

Shakespeare Lovers, Rejoice!

For Antony and Cleopatra is available to watch at home!  I recently discovered that the National Theater in London has an At-Home rental option, so you can watch shows that were staged there over the past few years.  The filming is professionally done and with a live audience, so you feel like you are in the room with the production.


This production of Antony and Cleopatra was staged in 2018 with Ralph Fiennes in the title role of Antony and Sophie Okonedo as Cleopatra. Ralph Fiennes (pronounced Rafe) is a particular long-time favorite of mine; it is a joy to watch that man work. Also, I admire that he taught himself Russian and now speaks it well enough to have done two films in the language!

Antony and Cleopatra features electric performances by both actors, and the production is amazing.  The actors deliver the lines in a naturalistic way (much like the amazing Henry IV/V triology in the The Hollow Crown).  Once your ear accustoms to the rhythm, it is very easy to follow what is happening.  

The sets are clever, placed on a rotating wheel that allows for different central sets to rise from the floor, including a shallow pool with real water in it!  Fiennes has a particular passion for Shakespeare staged in modern dress, and this production does that very well. (I don't always love this approach with Shakespeare, because it can get campy or be distracting).  The costumes are wonderful!  There is surprising humor in the show, and unexpected moments (there is a collective gasp from the audience toward the end that I found affecting).  

Let me know what you think if you watch it!  I'm hip-deep in costume alterations/fittings for the Upper School musical at my kids' school, and this was the perfect accompaniment to my sewing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!