Another day, another pullover. This one is the Dark Moss pullover by Teti Lutsak. It is worsted weight so it initially was about a two week project. But! I ended up knitting the sleeves twice and the top half from the short rows up three times. Yes, three! Because I am nuts.
The problem is the decreases in the back, which are done while doing the short rows. If you follow the pattern, the decreases happen too quickly and it is is too tight across the upper back. If you omit the middle decreases and just do the raglan decreases, you end up with an extra repeat on the neckline that looks sloppy and wide. I also sized up on the needles one of the iterations and didn't like the fabric. I ended up knitting on the 8s (which were my gauge needles), omitting the middle decreases and just doing the raglan decreases on the short rows, and then added a couple of rows to decrease in the middle to bring the raglan line together and have the correct stitch count for the neckline. Third time's a charm, as that seems to have fixed the fit problem across the upper back.
The sleeves were my own fault really. I should have sized up on the needles and didn't because I was away from home and just wanted to finish it. So I frogged both to about 10 rows from the cast-on at the underarm and reknit. I also made many fewer decreases, I think three? I knit 56 rows from the intial 10 down and then decreased 2 stitches, then knit 15 rows, decrease, then 15, decrease, and then about 6 more rows before starting the ribbing and that seems about right.
The cable sections at the bottom were fairly easy and enjoyable, especially since they were knit flat and then joined. I sort of split the difference between the cropped and longer length and am pretty happy with how it came out length-wise.
I had another gum graft yesterday to deal with the failed graft from 2016 and am pretty wiped today. I have to have another graft on my top teeth in January but need to wait for my palette to heal first. The main problem, as with the previous graft, is that eating is so incredibly painful and tricky. They gave me a surgical stent to cover the top of my mouth, which helps a lot with that part, but the graft site is very sore and swollen. I'm taking Tylenol and Motrin around the clock at the moment. So I'm trying to find liquid calories since I can't afford to lose any weight right now (not a problem I EVER thought I'd have, but here we are). The stitches come out next Thursday, so hopefully it won't be too bad of a week.





I love the pullover. We certainly need our woollies now that the temperatures have dropped. I do hope that you gum soon heals
ReplyDeleteThank you! I got something soft down this morning, so that's progress anyway.
DeleteOk first GORGEOUS sweater skirt and boots 👢 mix. Second so sorry about the gum / pain when eating 🙏 ... my nutritionist just emailed me a whey based protein drink that maybe good. Email me if you want info. God be with you 🙏
ReplyDeleteThanks, I think I'm good with what I have on hand. Got something soft down this morning so that helps!
DeleteOh goodness, I hope you feel very much better soon! The mouth is so exquisitely sensitive. I'm always impressed when a knitter can see what needs to be adjusted and fixed and then can execute it. I'm tied to the pattern. I've never had success re-visioning one. I would have given up, so good on you! I think the grey looks lovely on you. It's a color I cannot wear at all with my grey hair, but I've always liked it on others as a neutral.
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, it is only recently that I've got the confidence to mess around with knitting patterns on fit, mostly because of my sewing experience. I'm still pretty tied to a pattern, but after knitting the top part three times (!!) I felt I could play around some. The construction in the back was similar to the Carbeth by Kate Davies, which I've made about five times now, so I had some confidence that what I was doing might work. :)
DeleteBeautiful sweater! I really like Teti Lutsak's aesthetic, and yours is especially lovely. Prayers for swift healing! Oral surgery can be so uncomfortable.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I'm finally starting to be able to get some solid food down and am taking less pain meds, so that is progress! I do think I'm going to push off the next graft to late February maybe even Lent just because I don't want to lose a week of non-Lenten food!
Delete