Since Friday, we have celebrated Christmas, Piglet's birthday, our parish yolka (ёлка), and my husband's namesday, and there are still more celebrations to come this month! The weather has also turned quite cold (yay!) and we had snow on Friday for Christmas, so that was fun.
It will be February before I know it, so I want to get caught up
on projects from late 2021. I mentioned that I found an extra wide yard
of Melton wool in a fantastic peacock color in my previous wool skirt post. It's really meant for things like coating, but I figured it would work for a structured straight skirt as well.
| This is probably the closest, as it tends more to the green, but it is still much more saturated than this. |
(It was extremely difficult to get an accurate color read in the
pictures. It is much bolder and saturated in real life).
The boiled wool is significantly heavier than the pink, and more tightly
woven, so I made some modifications to my Free Range Skirt hack to
accommodate the fabric. The first was to use rayon seam tape on the
pocket edges and hand sew it down, as the thickness of the wool did not
play nicely with visible seams.
I lined the skirt with rayon bemberg, but dithered about whether to face the waistband with the wool or the bemberg.
I had done wool on the pink and bemberg on my plaid flannel, and I like both. I decided in the end to go with wool as I feared the bemberg might not play nicely with the Melton, particularly since I'd have to hand-stitch the thing down.
As with the wool and flannel skirts, I shortened the ban-rol elastic--this one to 26". It was more of frugality than anything, as I had a 26" length left and didn't want to waste it.
The elastic has relaxed slightly since I've worn the skirt a few times, and while it is snug getting up over my hips, I can make it. I think the shorter length balances the bulk.
I also used lace hem tape on the hem and hand sewed it down. I really like all the finishes on this skirt, and I like the straight silhouette I got in the heavier fabric.
I used the same adjusted seam allowances as with my green flannel skirt. It is slim without feeling restrictive, and the waistband is very comfortable. I'm quite pleased with the finishes too. All in all, a successful winter skirt!
That first icon is stunning 🤩 I think that colour must be AMAZING in person as the glimpses of it here are basically GORGEOUS
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteYes, the Nativity icon at our church is pretty fabulous. My favorite is the nearly life-size creche (second picture).
I love the entire outfit. You nailed it with the colours.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I decided to stop fighting my preferred palette this year and really embrace my teal-love. :)
DeleteLOVE it. I prefer teal too so hey I could be biased but we can be biased teal lovers together right?
ReplyDeleteThe waist looks fantastic. Gathered enough to look nice but not thick and bulky. And the straight sillouette is indeed really nice on you.
I think you hit the nail on the length too. It's great proportionately.
Youre totally nailing these skirts now!
Also your top! Is it hand-knitted? It's beautiful. Ok perhaps I like the soft teal but ... hey, it's beautiful in shape and texture and fit on you too.
Thanks so much! The sweater is a thrifted find on ebay a couple of years ago--it is cashmere and much nicer than anything I could have afforded new. :) I aggressively blocked it at the end of last season, and much prefer the fit through the body now. The cropped length and cowl neck were what sold me on the piece in the first place (holy grail of sweaters, right there), so I wanted to get the body fit how I wanted it too. A nice marriage of knitting knowledge and thrifting!!
DeleteOh wow that's a real score of a sweater! Nice about the blocking, and knowing you can do it and how.
ReplyDeleteVery nice!