I saw over the weekend that Mac Davis had died and felt a pang of regret over his passing. Davis' Burning Thing album formed part of the soundtrack of my childhood, and Honeysuckle Magic remains a particular favorite of mine.
Mac Davis was better known for other songs, such as In the Ghetto, Don't Cry Daddy, and Memories,
all covered by Elvis in his late 1960s comeback, but Burning Thing is a work of beauty. Every song tells a story, and in finest folk tradition, you have to listen to the end, just to find how it all turns out.
all covered by Elvis in his late 1960s comeback, but Burning Thing is a work of beauty. Every song tells a story, and in finest folk tradition, you have to listen to the end, just to find how it all turns out.
My dad had the album on an 8-track and played it in the car quite a bit when I was growing up. The family vehicle had an 8-track player for most of the 1980s. I bought the LP of Burning Thing in college and thankfully made a cassette recording of it, but all my records were lost in one of the numerous moves of my early 20s.
I sort of miss the tactile solidity of an 8-track. We had Seals and Croft and Gordon Lightfoot on 8-tracks and I still enjoy listening to those albums, albeit in CD form these days. I know, I know, I'm a Luddite. But at least I'm peaceful?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!