~knitting~
I finished a thing!
~reading~
Still working through Yuri Slezkine's House of Government. I'm about half-way through (475 pages or so of 900) and am still quite riveted by his work.
I also read a few light novels when I needed a break from Slezkine.
~sewing~
Underwear, mostly. (Ha!) I never thought I'd get into it, but I'm tired of unders that don't fit well, or meet my requirements, and while I've altered some of my RTW to meet some of those requirements (more on that in a separate post), I'm kind of enjoying these little projects. I'll blog about the specs in a separate post at some point.
~watching~
I finished season five of Grantchester and went back to the beginning and have enjoyed that very much. I find Sidney's sermons to be a bit better than Will's on the whole, but Will's sermons are more theologically sound (with the caveat that most of it is borderline on the theology to start with). Also, Robson Greene is the man. The scenes between Geordie and Kathy this past season were pure gold, and Greene should get an award for the episode with Kathy's mother. 
I also saw Mr. Jones, which is a very important film that everyone should watch if they can. My husband wanted to see it too, so I ended up seeing it twice, which I was glad for, as I missed a couple of details the first time round, plus the story packs just as big a wallop the second go-round. James Norton plays the real-life Gareth Jones, a Welshman who worked at Lloyd George's foreign advisor who speaks Russian because his mother spent time there and he studied it at Cambridge. He questions how the Soviet Union can be on a spending spree in the middle of a global depression, and goes there to investigate the question. He pays a high price for being unwilling to lie. There are a number of great reviews floating around, and I found these two quite illuminating.
~garden~
A tomato harvest! This bowl was half full last night before dinner, but we ate them before I got a proper picture. We have two red tomato plants and one orange pear, but the orange pear has been slow to ripen and there haven't been as many fruits as on the other two red tomato plants. Which is a shame because the pear tomatoes are more delicious!
My cucumber vines are a disappointment--lots of leafy growth, tons of male flowers, but no females. I've pruned and trained the vines, but I don't know what else to do to encourage female flowers--it's not a pollinator issue, it's a flower issue.
Linking with Ginny for Yarn Along.







I know this is on reading and knitting for the most part, but I was most fascinated with your sewing of underwear!
ReplyDeleteYour scarflet will come in handy, later for sure. You must live where central AC is not necessary...we would die of this summer heat without it!
Oh, our summers are super miserable--we live in a swamp of high humidity and high heat all summer. But we also live with old row houses that don't have ductwork, so it is difficult and expensive to install central air. A lot of people make do without it (and suffer all summer) and some people have window or floor units or mini splits. We have a floor unit and mini split, but they really only help the room you are in, and we can't have them in all rooms of the house because of the ventilation. So summers are...not fun for me. That said, it is far better than the first 10 years we lived here where I had nothing at all.
DeleteAs for the underwear...stay tuned! It's not a rabbit hole I ever thought I'd go down, but wow. I guess I"m there! Ha!