I mentioned that I did a bit of sewing for a friend? It was not commissioned work, just some things I made for her because we've been talking about sewing and clothes for a long time, and she has three very young kids and limited sewing time for herself. I knew she needed a few things for summer, so I decided to make her some! Surprise sewing is a thing, right? I should add that we live several hours apart in different states, so it was an interesting set of projects for me! (And probably not the last--it was quite satisfying to make these things).
First was a blue skirt, made from my Indigo dress of last summer. I had tried to wear it a couple times this spring and knew it was a no-go. That pattern is really not working well for my style, and after the Miss Frizzle comment from a passerby (she meant well, but still), I just couldn't.
Anyway, I had some of the fabric left over, and I knew that the skirt part of the dress would be a good starting point for the style that my friend was interested in. She is about five inches taller than me, and her measurements are different, so I let out the very deep hem and was glad of my measuring mistake last summer. (#serendipity) I added two straight panels to the side seams to give the garment the proper amount of fit and ease, and then popped an elastic-backed waistband on it, using my Rose skirt hack as a guide. The end result is bit more like my Everday pink clay skirt alteration, but it achieved the desired silhouette, so I don't really care how I got there! And yay for repurposing good fabric! I knew it would be a great fit for my friend's wardrobe, and crossed my fingers that it would fit her (it did!)
Next I set my sights on making a boxy cropped top for her. She made a bunch of Shirt No. 1s a while back, but I knew she was unhappy with some aspects of the fit, so I decided to try the Colette Sorbetto with the Washi cap sleeve applied, but I also wanted to try the hacked Emerald top, with some adjustments for good fit.
The Sorbetto has bust darts and the Emerald doesn't, so I wasn't sure what was going to provide the best fit and comfort. I got a little bit overambitious with my linen scraps on the Sorbetto, but I think the end result is somewhat interesting anyway. My friend likes it, so that's what counts!
The Emerald I had intended to make entirely out of pink clay linen scraps from my skirt, but saw the very tiny red brick remnant from a dress that came out too small last year, and decided to try a bit of color blocking with that as well. I fiddled around with what I had left and came up with a solid geometric block, and was able to squeeze out the one sleeve facing and pieced together the front facing. There are fumes of that original scrap left.
Ta-da! So pretty! (And the shirt is nice too!) After making her Emerald, and loving the color-blocked look of it, I decided to make myself one but with more red and less pink (since that pink doesn't look super great next to my face). Sometimes I enable myself when I make stuff for other people! *facepalm*
I ordered another yard of the red brick linen and used up the last long scrap of pink clay linen on a stripe down the side.
I originally thought to mimic the color blocking on my friend's with a horizontal stripe across the middle, but I didn't like the way the narrow strip looked, and I didn't have enough fabric to do without piecing in any case. I sort of like the slightly more subdued single stripe on this one. I could probably stand to go 1/2" shorter on the hem, so will keep that in mind for next time.
There are some little pieces left, but I'll probably pass them to Birdie for her little projects, since they are charm block size and there are maybe six of them. A good use of two yards of fabric, if you ask me! It's also a nice color coordination for many different skirts in my closet, and I think will work with my fall linen skirts too, so win-win there, because it can stay pretty hot here well into September, and sometimes October is warm too.
I'm mostly trying not to think about my sewing quantity right now, as it is functioning as a mental health booster with my kids underfoot all the time. Under the circumstances, I think that beats a super-lean closet. It's also stupidly hot this summer, and my laundry cycles have gotten long as my kitchen time has grown with the ongoing shortages and so forth. So there's that. Chalk it up to one of the many hidden costs of the pandemic, I guess.
First was a blue skirt, made from my Indigo dress of last summer. I had tried to wear it a couple times this spring and knew it was a no-go. That pattern is really not working well for my style, and after the Miss Frizzle comment from a passerby (she meant well, but still), I just couldn't.
Anyway, I had some of the fabric left over, and I knew that the skirt part of the dress would be a good starting point for the style that my friend was interested in. She is about five inches taller than me, and her measurements are different, so I let out the very deep hem and was glad of my measuring mistake last summer. (#serendipity) I added two straight panels to the side seams to give the garment the proper amount of fit and ease, and then popped an elastic-backed waistband on it, using my Rose skirt hack as a guide. The end result is bit more like my Everday pink clay skirt alteration, but it achieved the desired silhouette, so I don't really care how I got there! And yay for repurposing good fabric! I knew it would be a great fit for my friend's wardrobe, and crossed my fingers that it would fit her (it did!)
Next I set my sights on making a boxy cropped top for her. She made a bunch of Shirt No. 1s a while back, but I knew she was unhappy with some aspects of the fit, so I decided to try the Colette Sorbetto with the Washi cap sleeve applied, but I also wanted to try the hacked Emerald top, with some adjustments for good fit.
Ta-da! So pretty! (And the shirt is nice too!) After making her Emerald, and loving the color-blocked look of it, I decided to make myself one but with more red and less pink (since that pink doesn't look super great next to my face). Sometimes I enable myself when I make stuff for other people! *facepalm*
I ordered another yard of the red brick linen and used up the last long scrap of pink clay linen on a stripe down the side.
I originally thought to mimic the color blocking on my friend's with a horizontal stripe across the middle, but I didn't like the way the narrow strip looked, and I didn't have enough fabric to do without piecing in any case. I sort of like the slightly more subdued single stripe on this one. I could probably stand to go 1/2" shorter on the hem, so will keep that in mind for next time.
There are some little pieces left, but I'll probably pass them to Birdie for her little projects, since they are charm block size and there are maybe six of them. A good use of two yards of fabric, if you ask me! It's also a nice color coordination for many different skirts in my closet, and I think will work with my fall linen skirts too, so win-win there, because it can stay pretty hot here well into September, and sometimes October is warm too.
I'm mostly trying not to think about my sewing quantity right now, as it is functioning as a mental health booster with my kids underfoot all the time. Under the circumstances, I think that beats a super-lean closet. It's also stupidly hot this summer, and my laundry cycles have gotten long as my kitchen time has grown with the ongoing shortages and so forth. So there's that. Chalk it up to one of the many hidden costs of the pandemic, I guess.







Loving this look on you. There is something about these tonal outfits that reminds me of the satisfaction that comes with wearing dresses, but with the ease of separates. And one more giant THANK YOU💗❤️
ReplyDeleteExactly my thought too! (Although I haven't quite got up the nerve to combine my mint top and RTW mint skirt yet, even though they match exactly). :)
DeleteI LOVE the tone on tone in the coral red outfit!
ReplyDeleteWho am I kidding, I just like color.
Caryn
Sewing's helped me mentally all my life, so although I secretly love the idea of a super lean, organised wardrobe, it just never happens! I have a kaleidescope of different colours and styles and a rather full wardrobe (Which is still nothing like some of the huge wardrobes I see even in 'minimalist' blog posts etc. I guess size is relative...)
ReplyDeleteAlso, living in the tropics the moment you put something on, it needs a wash, so there's always lots of washing and a need for higher amounts of clothes, which sounds like your summer.
I love these outfits! They're fun but still a touch sophisticated and still completely appropriate for your style and climate :-D
Thanks! Some of my desire for a lean wardrobe is practical--we live in a small Victorian-era urban row house with minimal storage and four children, so wardrobes are lean by necessity.
DeleteBut that said, we still have four seasons here, and the extra things that necessitates including bedding layers.
I store off-season clothing for myself in soft bags under my side of the bed (the underbed storage is only 4" high so proper underbed storage boxes don't fit!) and I can't overrun those bins. ;)
But yes, it is helpful for mental health to sew, and to have fresh things to wear, especially in the tropical humidity of the swamp-like summers we have here!
Love the stripe on the red top - it really finishes off the whole outfit. And yay for the mental health benefits of sewing!
ReplyDelete