Last one, I promise. This is the final corduroy skirt I made, and I'm really happy with all three additions to my closet. I did take some time yesterday to take in the blue skirt, as I realized it was too big in the waist and was droopy.
To fix it, I pulled off the back part of the waistband only, and took in
the larger of the two darts about 1/4" each, and then reattached the
waistband and sewed on the button. I had to trim quite a bit off the
waistband to make the edge nice, but after that it was easy to sew on
the button and add a snap. (I had added a snap to my rust skirt and
liked the fit better).
But about this skirt. It is the Kaufman 14 wale corduroy in the oregano
colorway, and it is a lovely cool green-gray color. The color looks
different depending on the light. Sometimes it looks more spruce
colored and other times more charcoal colored. I did sew it with dark
green thread, but it is a nice neutral color, I think. The hardest part
was finding a zip to match. I ended up using a spinach one in my box,
which is close enough. The button is a random one from my box that
probably was an extra from a garment somewhere along the line, but is an
indeterminate color of greenish-brownish-gray. In other words, perfect
for this skirt.
The construction details are pretty much the same as the rust skirt,
including the pocket facing (which I neglected to mention in the post on
that skirt). I just cut a 1" wide strip the same length as the pocket
opening and applied as with bias (even though the strip isn't cut on the
bias). It worked a treat.
Another handworked buttonhole, which was kind of a pain because of the
thickness of the material, but it looks nice. I also tried to center
the button over the top of the zip this time, which I think worked.
I did not interface the waistband on this one, in part because I ran out
of petersham and didn't want to wait for more to arrive in the mail. I
suppose if the waistband behaves badly, I can open it up and add it in
later, but for now it seems okay. This corduroy is really heavy, so the
petersham doesn't really stabilize the waistband so much as add bulk.
That's all I have for today! I just got off the phone with my final
beta reader and I think I'm about ready to resubmit the manuscript.
I'd appreciate your prayers for this next stage of the process.








Will light a lampada for your prayer request! I love the skirt and this sweater and actually the whole outfit on you it looks great!
ReplyDelete