~knitting~
The temperatures have finally dropped enough for me to wear the pieces I finished over the summer!
The first is the Lightweight Pullover that I started in the late spring and worked steadily on over the summer.
I finished it sometime in August, I think, but it was eleventy billion
degrees at the time, so I just blocked it and put it away for colder
weather.
I'm actually pretty pleased with how it turned out. I cropped the body, obviously, but didn't make any other changes to the pattern.
The second is the Pabaigh by Kate Davies, started in June, finished last
week. I like it with a few caveats. I ended up reblocking the hem
after wearing it for a few hours because I didn't like how it wanted to
bubble and roll in at the bottom, creating a visual muffin-top. Not a
good look for me.
I think with the reblocked hem, it will end up being a really great
piece for me, since it is perfect for those days when you need a light
jacket. I don't always want to wear a full coat, so this is great for
that.
My changes were to make the funnel neck significantly shorter (the pattern asks for a whopping 14 1/2" finished length). I made mine around 11" and that is about right. I have a short neck and any longer would have swamped me. I made a small error on the back near the back neck, because I was short a stitch and made the increase in the middle of the row, but the increase was very visible after a few rows, so I tried to go back and fix it a few times with a crochet hook and only succeeded in making worse. I don't think it is terribly noticeable at a distance, and it does make it easy to tell the back from the front, but I'm annoyed with myself that I couldn't make it perfect. Oh well.
The gauge on this sweater was higher than I usually knit (something like 26 sts per 4 inches) but I was able to keep steady work on it, and it gave me confidence to try finer gauge pieces in the future. I really liked the construction on this too. Kate is so good at that.
I still haven't worn the textured shawl I finished in July, but will do so soon! I am also plugging away at my Doocot and enjoying it very much. Kate Davies is a wizard.
I still haven't worn the textured shawl I finished in July, but will do so soon! I am also plugging away at my Doocot and enjoying it very much. Kate Davies is a wizard.
~reading~
Still plugging away at Mary Eberstadt's first book. I've been falling asleep much earlier in the evenings lately, so I haven't made as much progress as I would have liked. I made some progress on Scruton's Notes from Underground, although I confess I'm not as into it as I thought I'd be. I'm sort of gritting my teeth through it at this point.
~sewing~
Made a burgundy skirt on the same block as my olive twill, from the same fabric line, but I don't love it. The fit is different for some reason, and I can't muster the energy to figure out why. Incidentally, the olive twill turned out to be the surprise hit of the season. I wore it regularly all summer and well into September.
I did a bunch of little mending projects that don't warrant photographs.
~watching~
I seem to go back to CSI: NY when I need a mental break but still want to watch something. The series hit Amazon prime last month and I've been rewatching the whole thing from the beginning. Somehow I never saw the first two seasons when it aired, so it was interesting to watch those for the first time. I'm now in season 3 and the cases are a bit more familiar. Enough time has passed since the show aired that it is an interesting window into the early-to-mid naughts, particularly as I was living abroad for part of that time.
This school year is really kicking my keister (already! I know!), and I find I'm mentally worn out from trying to keep up with everything.
This is my theme song this school year:
Oddly, it always puts me in the mindset of the Cold War and East Germany. For some reason it escaped me until recently that it was a Queen song, and not sung by a West German band. It just has that West End Girls vibe for me. I dare you not to have that mind virus in your head now. You're welcome. 😉
~writing~
The good news is that I completed the massive edit I've been plugging away at all summer, and finally have my word count down to an acceptable number for the interested party. I am grateful for being made to do it--it made me a better editor, and I hope the book is better for the tightness of the prose. Hopefully the interested party will think so too!
That's all for me. Linking with Ginny for Yarn Along.









God be with you! I love the knits! they look great!
ReplyDeleteI love those sweaters - just right for the winter which will soon be upon us. Have you any other winter clothes planned?
ReplyDeleteNot specifically. I'm still working on the Doocot, but I don't have much else planned, in part because I'm still figuring out what I want to wear! I have to make some sweaters for the girls, but that's kind of it.
DeleteGreat outfits! I used to knit sweaters. I can't seem to get back into it though. Before I began sewing, one of the girls at my weekly knit night told me I should sew because it's faster. I pooh-poohed her then, but I think maybe that's why I sew more than I knit now. Still, I should try to find a new knitting project.
ReplyDeleteAll lovely knits, but the first one is my favourite - such a gorgeous colour.
ReplyDeleteThe cropped length of the purple lightweight pullover is so flattering on you! I love it with the navy skirt--I've been looking for a skirt/pattern just like it. Did you make it?
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the editing! That's sometimes even more challenging that the actual writing.
Thanks! The denim skirt is detailed in my Maudie skirt post (under the tag Anne Adams 9481) but it is a vintage skirt pattern that I've graded down and modified quite a bit. It is basically a three dart straight skirt pattern with a straight waist band, back zip, and 2-part yoked pockets.
DeleteI do have to fit it each time I make it, though, because the back darts fit differently depending on the fabric, but it is a pretty straight-forward pattern! I'm sure there are similar versions out there that you could try--I think Sew Over It has a basic pencil skirt that is similar.