Friday, May 17, 2019

More Body Thoughts

The last couple of years, my internal thermostat has been off.  Way off.  I've always run a bit cold, but it seems I'm running even colder now (like my core is cold somehow).  But I notice in the past couple of weeks, as the weather has fluctuated between the high 40s and mid-80s, sometimes within a single day, I'm a bit warm.  I'm still running pretty cold overall, but when I'm warm, I can't get cool.  (And conversely, when I'm cold, I can't get warm).  It's super annoying to have a body that can't regulate itself. 

All that is to say, I find myself in my familiar conundrum for this time of year: what the heck am I going to wear now it is too warm for boots and sweaters??

At the risk of rank melodrama, a lot of my warm weather clothing hurts my feelings. 

Lemme 'splain. 

Last Friday, I took a ruler and a pair of scissors to my red M7353 (my Pascha dress last year, sadly neglected this year) and cut off the sleeves and shortened it quite a bit.  I had already taken up the hem in the hopes that I would want to wear it shorter, but it still languished in my closet.  I couldn't even bring myself to wear it on Pascha.  Part of the problem is that a red dress is just so very...red.  Part of it is that I'm not really in love with the M7353 anymore, although I couldn't say why.  It's a flattering style on me, and comfortable, but I just feel very "meh" in it.



I put it on and took a couple of pictures, and while I wouldn't say I felt awesome in the altered dress, I did feel different in my body in that moment.  A bit more...powerful, perhaps.  Like: See?  I have arms and legs.  Get over it.  I've spent a lot of my adult life feeling ashamed about my body.  There are a myriad of reasons for this, most of which I'm not going to share publicly, but suffice to say, I'm climbing a mountain of baggage to work through it.

Powerful is not a word I would use to describe my feelings about my body lately.  I have not felt awesome in my body.  I had a couple of pieces in my late winter/early spring rotation that felt great, but as the weather has turned a bit more balmy, I find I'm at loose ends with it all.  All my Everyday Skirts make me feel bloated and whale-like, and I only have my two fitted denim skirts for warmer weather.  (And frankly, one of the denim skirts has major fit issues that I can't figure out).

I love the color of this skirt, and it looks great as long as I don't move at all in it.  Otherwise, it poofs and the waistband rolls, and I'm generally fussing with it all.the.livelong.day.  Pretty much the story of my Everyday skirts right now.

I'm between sizes in ready-to-wear and most of my me-made clothes are sloppy.  It's a weird place to be--having almost no clothes I want to wear (and fit well), and really no idea of what to make or buy to replace them.

Stasia Savasuk would say to just try things until something clicks, and to use my power words to feel good about it, but I'm struggling.  I've learned to use my words about what I do in the past year or so: "I'm a writer, I work from home," but I'm still working on the body stuff: My body is strong, my body is good, my body has housed five humans. The clothes are wrong, not my body.

But at the end of the day, the body that confronts me in the mirror is not a body I recognize.  The seven or eight pounds I gained last summer continue to hang around, and I fear I'm just continuing to gain.  I hate that I give the number on the scale so much power over me.  It's just a number.  The questions I should be asking are: do I feel strong in this?  Does this feel quirky?  Does it feel whimsical and interesting?  Powerful?  Does it make my today body feel loved and appreciated?


I've also been having a think about why I only feel good in my body when it feels "small" to me.  Sometimes this is literal--the size tag on the garment is small (or a lower number), sometimes it is more ephemeral--I just "feel" small in something.  Because big feels wrong somehow.  Why is that?  Why do I have this voice in my head telling me that it is wrong to take up too much space in the world?  What is "too much" anyway?  Why is "big" or expansive (by whatever definition) somehow less dignified or worthy?

Today I pulled out every piece of clothing I own and put it on.  (Well, most of it).  I looked at it in the mirror and assessed how everything felt on my body, and how things fit and looked.  Turns out that a big chunk of it needs to go.  Some of it just didn't fit me that well (either too big or too small, or too poofy, or needed more alteration than I am willing to make), and some of it just didn't suit my aesthetic.  With 40 staring me in the face, I find my tastes are changing rapidly.  Which is fine, because my bins were feeling a bit full.  The price of going through a transition within yourself is that it often manifests in the closet somehow.

It's not really about the clothes.  But it is, because we all have to get dressed every day.  So I'm going to give myself some grace about the flux of fabric through my hands these past months, and be grateful that I was able to wear all of it, many times, and look with curiosity to what this next phase will bring, sartorially and otherwise.

5 comments:

  1. So, I always run cold too, and over the last eight months I have also been having spells of feeling warm ... which I'm pretty sure are hot flashes, as I am also having a couple other symptoms that could be related to perimenopause. I will be 41 this year, which I thought was too early, but there you go. The red McCalls dress looks great on you in its altered state. But I hear you about not being into the silhouette anymore (I'm not bothering to try to alter mine; might cut off the tops and turn them into skirts, though). Things change. As far as loving your body when it's small, I'm there too. Though I also feel better - physically - when I am carrying around less weight, and I think that is a positive thing. Less pain, more energy, all that. You look great, seven or eight pounds notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother went through menopause really early, and I've always been early with everything related to hormones, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is perimenopause. I did feel like my body hit a big reset button last summer in August, on a number of levels, not just with hormones, so it is a strange place to be right now. I heard somewhere that the female body resets hormonally every 7 years or something, which seems about right to me.

      I did take one of my woven M7353s from last summer and cut off the top, but I can't quite bring myself to finish it into a proper skirt. It just doesn't feel like the right thing for my body right now either. I've left it in the WIP pile and may end up just making something for one of the girls out of it next summer.

      I hear you about feeling better when smaller--I definitely have that as well, and I think I would feel even better physically if I could get these last 15 pounds gone, but it may not be realistic at this stage of my life. I'm really struggling with my food life again, and not really knowing what to eat that won't make me sick. It's a long process and I'm trying to be patient with it.

      I'm so glad you've got to a good place, though!!

      Delete
  2. Such an interesting take! Let me say that, once upon a time, I was nearing 40 (10 years ago!) and it's a moment when the body can begin to take on a life of its own. I wish I could tell you that you're going to feel just like yourself soon, but (honestly) you could be in for a decade of body morphing, to add to that dysmorphia. I gained weight and I was very unhappy with how I looked. It's not that I was ever hateful of myself and I still fitted into RTW - albeit between sizes as you say - but I feel at home in myself when I'm at a certain size and shape that I had well surpassed. Now that I'm back there (no one ever goes back, of course, but you know what I mean), I am restored to my former sense of body image, for which I am exceedingly grateful. For me, mind you, I grapple with so much sensory sensitivity that losing weight made clothing fit differently and made me fit differently in my own skin. Moreover, I've lived through enough life stages that I know I can't take any size as my own personal gospel. Sorry for rambling. Just want to say I can relate. Also, I do think you look very lovely and my body was highly altered by just one pregnancy. That you manage so many things in your life - 4 children!, special needs mum, writer, historian, regular person, wife etc. is incredibly impressive - and it takes a toll on one's body. We tend to think of ourselves with preformative body image, which is linked firmly to our "smallest" selves in youth. Don't judge anymore than you are compelled to. Because you are an amazing person who looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear your story about this--I find it is so helpful to hear from women a little bit older than me, to see what the roadmap ahead is, so to speak. I've been in a pretty weird body place for the past 10 years, what with pregnancy and nursing and all the fluctuations that causes (I pretty much think motherhood is an ongoing existential crisis, and anyone who says differently is kidding themselves), but I can tell that things are shifting a lot more dramatically in the past 18-24 months. Some of it is great--I have some times when I feel just right with the world, standing tall, not giving a flick about what anyone thinks about me or my body. There is an incredible expansion going on inside me that I have trouble articulating, but it is very interesting, and I'm curious to see where that leads. My paradigm for the world and life have changed radically in the past six months. (Again, not in ways that I can articulate fully, but it is a vastly different headspace to occupy--mostly a good one!)

      But there are some times of crushing dysmorphia, and feeling like I'm going crazy in my skin. I think part of it is that I keep fighting my body on some level--if only you would do x, or y, or z, then I could be at peace in you, but I need to stop that. My body is what it is today, and I can't change that today. I can make adjustments to help me over the long run (I'm trying to make some dietary changes right now to feel better in my body day to day, and hopefully lose a few pounds), but I can't change much about the today.

      Thanks for the props, and I appreciate so much your thoughtful comment and dialogue with me these past months. It helps me so much!!

      Delete
  3. I understand much of what you have written about. I am in my early 40s and my weight has fluctuated up and down before, during and after having kids! I too have struggled with not liking how I look, I feel that all or many of us have inner thoughts where we are not happy with what we see.
    This winter I was in such a funk over all of it that I decided it was time to change. Nothing major or life shattering, but just choosing some better habits for my days. I kept mentally telling myself that of course I wasn't liking how I looked...because I was not actively doing anything to change it. Once I started adding in some exercise and healthier eating, then my mental conversation shifted to thinking that I was proud of myself for making better choices...for taking care of myself. I may not feel as strong as I want to be, but I was no longer 'beating myself up over it' because I was doing something about it. Ultimately, I want to feel strong enough to do all of the tasks I enjoy doing, like hiking and gardening. And I am certainly getting there. But it takes time. That's the heard part!
    I am proud of you for recognizing where you are at and where you want to be. As a mom, it is hard to carve out time for taking care of yourself. And sometimes our bodies don't even cooperate :) Remind yourself of the changes you are making today that will get you to where you want to be. Ignore the number on the scale or the clothing tag (yes that is difficult to do!) and focus on what you ARE doing to feel strong and healthy. You are a beautiful, God created woman...and I pray that you are able to let yourself see that too! Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!