Saturday, March 30, 2019

Spice Cake Everyday Skirt

 Hey, look!  I made something I don't hate!  This is, to be perfectly frank, nothing short of a miracle.  I've had a LOT of sewing fails this month.  A lot.  So much so that I've nearly decided to stop sewing for myself and my girls for a while.  (I probably am going to stop for a while, but I'll get to that later).


But!  I made a skirt!  That fits well!  That I like to wear!!  It is just my basic Everyday skirt, size medium, with 1" added to the length.  This time I changed the pleats to mimic how the pleats on the Washi dress fit (and also my failed Simplicity skirt).  I think it is probably my most flattering iteration yet.


Word to the wise, however.  If you make your back elastics too short, the front of the skirt will poof out in hugely unflattering and frump-inducing ways.  (Ask me how I know).  My original elastics were 10"--I have no idea why I thought this was long enough, but they were elastics I had pulled out of something else and thought they were okay.  Oof, no.  So I added about 2" to the ends and now it is just right.  Poof-factor gone.


A side note.  I know some people like a lot of volume in their clothing, and poof factor would be a plus for them, but I do not.  I find that a lot of volume swamps my frame and just looks bad on me.  I also find as I'm getting older, that poofy clothing feels too "young" to me.


So less poof.  This fabric is from the Kaufman Essex line, which is the cotton-linen blend, rather than the Brussels line I prefer which is linen-rayon, but I loved the color so much I decided to go for it.  It is a little stiff, but I imagine it will soften with washing/wearing over time.  The drape is decent for the fiber content, and it doesn't wrinkle that much.  


I made a 1" waistband because I'm finding that the 1.5" waistband called for by the pattern wants to roll on my figure.  I'm very short-waisted, so wearing a high-waisted skirt with a high waist band doesn't usually work for me.  I did do two lines of 1/2" elastic in the back, and while the front and back widths don't quite match, I like the fit and feel of this better than the 1" elastic.


I like this outfit a lot.  Which is saying something.  I'm trying hard to find myself in my body, and to be comfortable in my clothes.  Not just literally comfortable, but "this feels like me" comfortable.  I've really outgrown the styles of my 30s, and I'm sort of stumbling around in the dark, trying to figure out what feels right to me on the cusp of 40.  

I will say that I've been taking up all my hemlines on old makes as I feel better in shorter lengths right now.  I could perhaps lose the extra inch I add to this pattern, but this length still feels fine to me.  It's a weird place to be--trying to figure things out.  I'll get there in time, I suppose.  Or I won't.  But that's okay too.


This one works.  

4 comments:

  1. It's a cute outfit. I've also seen changes in the styles I am drawn to over the last decade. I used to love polka dots - but am not solidly a stripes-and-plaids kind of a girl. Why are you planning to take a sewing break?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a few posts in the hopper, so stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. I think it looks swell! I like this color on others - I just can't wear it myself. Just about to order some Kaufman linen. I've been debating which line to try first. I usually prefer 100% linen. I'm going for a pink or a purple. Something zingy to go with my white hair. What a good feeling to make something you want to put on in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might try fabrics-store.com for 100% linen. Their prices are great per yard, and the quality is nice. I've ordered a lot of linen from them over the past few years and been very happy. The only downer is the shipping can be a bit much, but fabric.com's shipping has gotten higher too. (I've not been impressed with the 100% linen I've found there, and I think Kaufman doesn't do 100% linen that more than handkerchief weight--although that is VERY nice stuff). I used to not like the blends either, but after working with the rayon-linen blend last summer, I'm a convert--the rayon gives it good drape without the slightly rumpled look that linen can have but still is delightfully light and breathable.

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!