Wednesday, June 13, 2018

That blue linen dress


I was on the fence about this one.  I bought the linen kind of on a whim, and debated mightily about keeping it once it arrived.  In the end, I decided to give it a go and see if I liked it.


Every summer I seem to make one really light colored dress and then tell myself the rest of the summer that it was a bad idea since light colors tend not to look great on me.  Usually I don't care, but this year, I'm exquisitely sensitive to such things, so I did make this with some misgivings.


In the end, I think it is okay.  I felt pretty good in it Sunday (despite it not really being the right weather for such a dress!) and I think the color looks better in person than in the photos. (And yes, I know I say that every year about the light blue dress du jour).


I think the light texture and pattern gives it additional interest that helps.  Probably some bright accessories would help it too.  I was in an extremely neutral mood on Sunday.


I should also note that I made the usual M7353 changes for a woven, but added 1/4" to the bottom back sleeve, as with the York dress and in this fabric, that is just right.  I don't know why the double gauze feels tighter, but maybe it will loosen with a day's wearing.  *fingers crossed*


And on to another alteration.  Birdie was disappointed that my Blue Forest dress wasn't in my closet this summer (she likes to match me sometimes), so I had a bit of think about how to make it wearable for me.  I'm not into my Simplicity 1080 for summer this year (it is fine with layers for cooler temps), and I want my arms more covered.  I found I had 1/2 yard left and decided to try a Carson Dress pattern hack and used the sleeve extension to add longer sleeves to this dress.  I graded the pattern out about one size (I guessed a little) and that seemed to be about right.  I probably didn't need the extra length on the sleeve cap, however.  3/8" seam allowance and the thing fitted pretty perfectly into my existing S1801 modified sleeve cap.


It mostly works, I think.  I took out the bust tucks because the fabric has never been happy with them and added a long elastic line across the middle instead, mimicking the back elastic.  I could snug it a bit for a leaner fit, but unpicking stitches in double gauze is seriously a pain.  I debated adding a casing and interior elastic instead, but decided that was too much trouble, and I didn't want to unpick the back elastic at that point.  

It isn't a fabulous dress, but it will do.  It is comfortable, though.  (A lot more so with the changes).  I'm considering doing the same thing to my Liberty #5 dress as I discovered I have about 1/2 yard of that fabric left too.  Decisions, decisions.


The older three kids had their last day of school yesterday, and Ponchik has her end of year program today, so we are headed into the summer routine this week.  We didn't hire a summer sitter this year for a variety of reasons, so I imagine I will have to be creative these next few months to get my own things done.  I'm reminding myself that I wrote the bulk of the novel last summer in fits and bursts while the kids were doing other things, so it can be done!  And anyway, summer doesn't last forever.

3 comments:

  1. I love the light blue fabric! The dress is really pretty and looks comfortable to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been reasonably impressed with Telio as a fabric company.

      Delete
  2. The light blue and the lines of the pattern work well together, I think. It looks very cool and comfortable.

    Hooray for the adjustments on the blue forest dress! I think it worked out quite well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!