Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Palm Sunday Jumpers

Last year, I made the girls green dresses for Palm Sunday (and another set for Pentecost).  Apparently, Birdie liked that a lot, and two weeks ago, asked me what the Palm Sunday dresses were going to be for this year.  I said I hadn't made anything and she responded definitively: "I want a green dress with ferns on it."  I told her that it was a bit late for ordering new fabric, and besides, I didn't think I would have time.  She was so disappointed that I put my thinking cap on and remembered a short length of bull denim in my stash.  

I bought it a few years ago for a fitted skirt and then didn't end up liking the color.  The fabric has been sitting ever since.  I've taken it out to donate more than once, but it always ended up going back in the bin.  There was *just* enough to squeak out two jumpers.  (I had to cut Ponchik's on the cross-grain, but it didn't seem to matter with this fabric).  I omitted the facings and just bound all the edges with bias.  Worked a charm and the girls were super happy with them.  


The pocket was a last minute addition, as both girls wanted pockets, but I couldn't get the scale right to put two functional pockets in the front and I was in a rush and didn't want to dig out the kanga pocket from their S8101 summer dress pattern, so they had to make do with one.  Turned out pretty well!  I will say, this fabric handled very well, but it frayed like nobody's business.  I'm still finding little green threads all over the place!

We are in Holy Week now, and it is a busy time for us.  I'm hoping to sing the Hymn of Kassiani tonight, Byzantine style, so I need to practice that, as it has been some years since I last sang it. (Pray for me!  It is a difficult piece of music to do well).  

Good strength to everyone running this last leg of the race!  It's Friday, but Sunday's coming!

11 comments:

  1. Last year I learned to sing that as well. Romanian version here: https//youtu.be/YQxcAaxC3h0

    I would love to sing it but Radu keeps telling me that the singers should be men only. I am not sure where he learnt that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That particular hymn is actually meant to be sung by a woman!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! I knew I loved you before I met you :)

      Delete
  3. will pray! cute jumpers!! a win! :) God speed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I think I enjoy dressing my children for Palm Sunday more than I do for Pascha. Blessed Holy Week to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too! I am always so fatigued by Pascha that I just can't hardly be bothered. I just bought their Pascha dresses this year (and I do most years, because...Lent and Holy Week).

      Delete
  5. How did the St Casiana hymn go? At our church the priest decided to read it very clearly, emphasizing every word. It was good, in my opinion. Instead,I sang it for the evening prayers. 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  6. It went very well, I think! The bishop appreciated it (he is from the antiochian archidiocese originally, and I think was missing some Byzantine chant. We did the exapostilarion in tone 3 Byzantine style too, which I remembered from last year is a particular favorite of his).

    I was shaking so hard after the service from the adrenaline!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those dresses are darling! Kudos for make no it work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry! Typo! Kudos for making it work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!