But on to the dress. This is a green linen dress that I made specifically to wear for Pentecost. I have a green knit dress with 3/4 length sleeves that I wore for Palm Sunday, but I remembered from last year that I was a bit warm in it on Pentecost, so I thought better to have something a bit more summery. The green is a bit brighter than it looks on the photos--it is called veridian, but I'd put it a shade or two darker than a true kelly green. It's a really nice color, actually. I'll probably replace my evergreen linen dress with this one, as I've never been happy with the fit on that one; the back is too big and it hangs oddly.
Linen generally comes in 54-58" wide bolts, so I wanted to be super efficient about cutting this dress so I could have good leftovers for something else. (I didn't know what else, but I feel bad about having huge leftover selvages that I can't use for anything). So I folded one edge just as wide as I needed it for the dress and left myself an extra wide selvage that was 3 yards long.
I set it aside, intending to just put it in my fabric bin for another time, but on Wednesday or Thursday I suddenly decided that it would be fun to make the girls matching Pentecost dresses to mine. Their Palm Sunday dresses haven't really worked out, and I was pretty sure I could squeak two dresses out of what was left. I made them in a mad rush on Thursday morning to be sure they were done in time.
Patch pockets again--I don't really remember why I decided to do them on this dress. I think I was just on a patch streak when I made it.
Anyway. The girls' dresses were indeed a squeak! I was able to cut Birdie's on the long grain as usual, but I had to cut Ponchik's on the cross-grain and piece a tiny bit at the back shoulder on one side. I made some decorative stitching on both sides so it doesn't show much. I figured it would work on the cross grain since her chambray border print dress had worked well, and it did! My only complaint is that Birdie's dress is a little big in the shoulders, but the other dresses I made from this pattern in her old size earlier this spring didn't really fit over her head easily. That is one downside to this pattern--you have to balance the neck opening against shoulder width. I suppose if it is really an annoyance, I could make some kind of closure in the back neckline and snug up the top a bit with a few darts. I dunno. I really have no scraps left; all three dresses used up almost every bit! I love it when that happens.
My other complaint about the dresses is the fabric itself--it had a few flaws that I didn't notice while cutting, and thus required some darning to wear. I guess you get what you pay for, since the linen I get is very affordable (from fabrics-store.com). I've mostly had a good experience with their fabric and the company, however.
Just the facts:
Pentecost dresses: viridian green linen from fabrics-store.com, vintage bias tape, vintage buttons, elastic, Simplicity 1080 (redrafted); Simplicity 8101 (with length added)
Scarf (on me): via ThredUp
Shoes (on me): Old Navy via ThredUp
Earrings: etsy
Headscarves on girls: Garlands of Grace

I love that photo of the three of you. I always like to take family photos on Palm Sunday or Pentecost because it's the only time of year we all match. Your dress is lovely.
ReplyDeleteLovely photo of you and your girls!
ReplyDeleteThat dress is so cute and I love the picture of you 3!♡ hope you continue to feel better! ♡
ReplyDeleteSo fun! On Pentecost, I remarked to someone that I was wearing my Christmas green, not my Pentecost green, because it was so chilly and wet. Second-hand evergreen Pendleton skirt to the rescue!
ReplyDelete