My sewing goal in March was to get through most of the stack of fabric I had set aside for the girls. Most of it was for Birdie's summer wardrobe, but I had a few things that I was going to make for Ponchik as well. I'm nearly through the stack (I have two more matching dresses to make for them for Ascension/Transfiguration and a surprise birthday dress for Ponchik, but otherwise, I'm done).
Yesterday was Palm Sunday, and the girls wore the matching dresses I made for the day. (I will try to write a bit about the pattern soon because I like it) They will work nicely for Pentecost as well, sans the black undershirts. They ended up taking them off in the afternoon because it was so warm. We went to Bridegroom Matins at one of the cathedrals in town and they had a nice Lenten meal afterward. I'm pleased to report that I successfully ate Russian-style pierogi last night!! I haven't had bread in more than two years because of all my swallowing woes, so this was a major treat for me. I don't think I'll be eating sandwiches any time soon, but it was so nice to eat something I love so much (and makes me miss Russia!) and not have too much trouble with getting it down. (I did make sure to have plenty to drink with it, and ate carefully with tiny bites).
And finally: the Foxglove Dress. I nearly took this one out of my rotation (in fact, it was sitting in a pile until last night, when I decided to give it a shot and got out the steamer). It was one of those "what was I thinking?" dresses. I bought the fabric in February when I was wishing for something bright and cheerful. I liked it when it arrived, but it washed up oddly--instead of softening nicely, it stayed kind of papery and stiff. And oh, the static!!
Every time I tried it on, it made me crazy. I was disappointed a) because I was looking forward to having an orange dress in my spring rotation and b) because I've bought from Cloud 9 before and had a great experience. My First Light dress remains a well-worn favorite of spring. Cloud 9 fabric isn't exactly cheap either, so I was sorry to potentially lose the investment as well. I washed it a second time and hung it to dry and hoped that would help some. It did soften slightly, and most of the static has gone out of it, so I think it is okay. I think the factory used a bit too much sizing on this particular bolt, so it will just take some more washing to get it nice and soft.
I also think I needed warmer weather to want to wear it. I just couldn't get excited about a thinnish orange dress when I was shivering in my Uggs in early March. But the next two days are supposed to hit 80, and it is quite pleasant this morning, so I think I'm going to say this one can stay in my closet.
The fit is good, I think the color is decent on me (sunburned cheeks and lips from standing outside after church yesterday notwithstanding!) and I feel comfortable in it. I even have on stockings today instead of full tights! I can't believe the crazy weather we are having. But that is spring around here, I've found--it is cold, it is warm, it is cold, it is cold some more, then it is warm, then cool, then it gets super hot and stays hot for the rest of the summer.
I like the print--it is interesting. I think a taupe cardigan would look nice with this dress too. I did have to pay attention when I was cutting to make sure the flowers were heading in the right direction. I realized as I was laying out the pattern that it was a directional print! Thank goodness for small mercies.
I'm leaving my sewing machine in the cabinet this week. It is Holy Week, and we are in the middle of 12 days of morning-and-night services. Since Old Calendar Annunciation fell on Friday (4/7), it added a few more days of services to the intensity that is Holy Week. I'm also pretty tired right now and my last couple of makes have had some mishaps. I was able to rescue them, but I think I need a break now. I still have a few things to make for my summer, plus the girls' dresses, and I think it will be good for me to have those to look forward to after Bright Week. I sometimes get a bit of letdown after big feasts, and I find it is helpful to have a project at the ready.
![]() |
| Image via |
I plan to make Pashka on Saturday sometime (my recipe is very quick and doesn't require cooking or draining) and I'm considering making kulich for the first time this year. I have two small soup-size cans saved and I want to make a half-recipe. Kulich kind of scares me (even though I've made plenty of yeasted breads before), but I think I just need to do it. A good friend gave me her tried and true recipe, so hopefully it will all turn out okay.
Just the facts:
Foxglove dress: Simplicity 1080 (redrafted), Cloud 9 foxglove fabric, tango vintage bias tape, elastic
Stockings: o-socks in navy from sock dreams
boots: KadiMaya from amazon
Cardigan: H&M
Earrings: etsy


You always find such lovely fabric for your dresses, I'm glad you were able to rescue this one.
ReplyDeleteThat is such a good orange! And I love it with blue, my favorite combo.
ReplyDeleteI tried your mushroom gravy over the weekend,I made it with rice milk and it was very good! I'm always on the look out for "creamy" things to go with noodles or potatoes on meat days.
I hope you have a nice Easter!
Caryn
Thanks!
DeleteThe gravy is even creamier if you make it with full-fat coconut milk (the culinary kind that comes in a small carton is fab for this)!