Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Talking Tuesday: Possibly Pounding a Dead Horse (Sheryl Paul on Screen time)

I really don't mean to keep banging on about the problems of technology and finding a way to have technology but not let it have control, but this article was too good not to share a portion.  (And yes, I remember when blue tooth technology was very new, and thinking a woman totally mad when I saw her walking down the street, animatedly talking to herself.) Her list of questions to ask yourself before sitting in front of a screen is superb, and her approach to technology eminently reasonable.  Read the whole thing.



"Like all vices, the substance isn’t the problem. Just like we can approach food as a way to avoid, numb out or fill up or as way to nourish ourselves and even connect spiritually, so we can use screens the same way. In other words, it’s not about denigrating the object or substance and stating categorically that “computers are bad”; it’s about recognizing that we, as humans, have a tendency to become addicted to anything that offers a temporary escape from whatever is uncomfortable in our lives."


(This video addresses the same issue, but from a different perspective)

1 comment:

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!