Friday, October 12, 2012

7QT: Prayer of the Optina Elders Edition


(A friend did this the other day for another linky, and I love the prayer and thought it would be a good thing to repost here)

It also appears that Blogger is having photo-upload heartburn today and this will unfortunately be a photo-less post.  I'll update it later if Blogger can get some Zantac down the tubes.

Prayer of the Optina Elders:

--1--

Grant unto me, O Lord, that with peace of mind I may face all that this new day is to bring.


I've been getting myself up earlier since we returned from Austria in August, and I have to say, having a set time to get up every day seems to help me maintain a lot of equilibrium.  The earlier time does mean I run out of gas a lot earlier in the evening, but I've decided that is okay.  I have been struggling a bit more to get up in the morning this week, but I think I just have to push through and get myself back on track.


--2--

Grant unto me to dedicate myself completely to Thy Holy Will.
For every hour of this day, instruct and support me in all things.


I've really been working hard to guard my internal peace.  I am powering down the computer much earlier in the day, spending more time reading in bed in the evening, and working to surround myself with that which is beautiful.  (A neat trick in a gritty city, let me tell you).


--3--

Whatsoever tidings I may receive during the day, do Thou teach me to accept tranquilly, in the firm conviction that all eventualities fulfill Thy Holy Will.


Yesterday was Piglet's namesday, and he was over-the-top excited all day.  Translation: he was very naughty from sun-up to sundown.  He managed to break a CFL lightbulb in my office (it was burned out and sitting on my husband's desk)--those things absolutely shatter and are a complete pain to clean up.  You'd think that something that is supposed to be clean and green wouldn't be such a hazardous waste risk.


--4--

Govern Thou my thoughts and feelings in all I do and say.
When things unforeseen occur , let me not forget that all cometh down from Thee.

I'm also trying to let the unexpected annoyances of life just roll off my back.  I made the difficult decision to close my etsy shop last week.  (I kept the shop address, just in case, but there is no inventory in the store)  I decided that I had too many balls in the air, and that the shop was the thing that had the most factors out of my control, so I need to let it go for now.  When my kids are a little older, and I have more time during the day, I'll reopen.  For now, I'm only taking custom projects by request as I'm able.

--5--

Teach me to behave sincerely and rationally toward every member of my family, that I may bring confusion and sorrow to none.


I will admit, yesterday I was not at my best with the kids--Piglet was so naughty all day, and Boo didn't nap, so I wasn't very patient or peaceful with them.  But I will say overall, the tenor of my dealings with them has come down more than few notches.  I'm better able to enjoy them and appreciate their individual quirks; I can back down from my anger and irritation with various and sundry much more quickly and apologize more easily when I've wronged them or my husband.  Progress, I suppose.  That said, I have many days that I just want to hit the reset button and start again.


--6--

Bestow upon me, my Lord, strength to endure the fatigue of the day, and to bear my part in all its passing events.

I'm struggling a lot with fatigue the last few weeks.  It is probably just the seasonal change (my environmental allergies are worse in the spring and fall), and will get better after a few hard freezes, but I feel sluggish and achy many days.  I'm trying to bear up and just get on with it without complaining.  Compared with some of the health struggles of those near and dear to me, I've got it pretty easy.  

--7--

Guide Thou my will and teach me to pray, to believe, to hope, to suffer, to forgive, and to love.
Amen


I'm working on it.  :)

Go see Jen and Co. for more Quick Takes!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!