Wednesday, March 23, 2011

One down...

Today, my husband argued his first case before the Supreme Court, Turner v. Rogers. He asked me to be there, so my mother-in-law and I took a very early train to Washington DC this morning and went to the Supreme Court to sit in on the session. After hearing so much about the case after all these months, it was fun to watch both sides argue their case, and to see the whole process up close. (Plus, since my husband clerked for Justice Kennedy many years ago, I knew a bit of behind-the-scenes stuff about the Court and some of the Justices). I will say, in my totally unbiased opinion, that my husband did better than lawyer for the Turner side. But that is just me. Now they have to wait a few months to see what the Justices actually decide as a verdict in the case. And my husband can focus his attention on the next case he is due to argue in less than a month. Suffice to say that it has been a busy few months in our household, with my husband working 70 hours a week since the beginning of January. But the end is in sight! I was very proud of him today. I wanted to point and say to the room, "That one, he's mine!" Ha!

The Justices (I couldn't find a current photo that included newly-appointed Justice Kagan)

Our return train was VERY late (we were stopping every 15 minutes or so for some sort of engine trouble) and limped back into the city two hours late, which wasn't ideal, but at least we made it home! I deemed it a good night for (Middle Eastern) take out to celebrate the day, and my husband and I went out to a local coffee shop after dinner for a nice celebratory (vegan) dessert.


Today's card is another one I made for my display board on Saturday using another of Michelle Zindorf's tutorials. (She's the real talent in the room, I just pretend...) She made her original card with non-SU! stamps and a few retired colors, so I modified the card to use the palm tree from Plant Hope and current blues. I like the line of palm trees in the different blues--I think it quite striking. I wish I had a little bird stamp like her original card used; it would have made a nice accent in the foreground. So many stamps, so little money! le sigh. :) I also substituted rhinestones for the brads because quite frankly, I'm slightly lazy when it comes to putting in brads. So now you know one of my dirty stamping secrets!

Supplies:

Baja Breeze, Marina Mist, Not Quite Navy, Basic Black inks
Plant Hope stamp set
sponges
Whisper White, Marina Mist, Not Quite Navy cardstock
white gel pen, basic black marker
rhinestones

2 comments:

  1. it is striking. wow, what a big day for the Bibas family! can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like Claire's comment, I can't wait to hear more about it, too; Way to go, Stephanos and the rest of the family, who must be just bursting with pride.---Adele

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!